Classic tax

Hello every one long time since I posted on here, but I have a question which is not really land rover but I know lots of you own classic vehicles, I have a horsebox 7.5ton and its a 1973 Lreg and was wondering if it is tax exempt as some people have told me it is and some say it isn't and I was hoping someone could help me or point me to somewhere I can find out .

many thanks Brendan

Reply to
Brendan

See recent thread entitled "Re: Historic Vehicle class - UPDATE"

"The taxation class 25 Year Exempt was abolished in the 1998 Budget and replaced with a new class called Historic Vehicle. This new class applies to any vehicle constructed before 1.1.1973."

So you might just be lucky. Get researching and good luck.

Reply to
Dougal

Ya beat me to it! :-)

Reply to
PDannyD

The cut off date is for vehicles *constructed* before the 1st Jan

1973.

Note that the date of construction will be earlier, sometimes a lot earlier than the date of registration. For Land-Rovers and some other marques, the Heritage Motor Centre at Gaydon has preserved the original factory legers. If you can prove that the date of manufacture was 1972, then you can have it registered as a "Historic Vehicle".

Google HTML cache: http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:oyANQJF3XZYJ:

Are you the keeper of a 'Historic' vehicle?

If so:

  • Was your vehicle constructed before 1 January 1973?
  • Is it one of the vehicles listed below in Qualifying Vehicles?

If you can answer Yes to both questions then you may be eligible to license your vehicle in the Historic Vehicle Taxation Class.

Note: Vehicles licensed in the exempt Historic Class are not subject to Vehicle Excise Duty but must still display a vehicle licence disc (tax disc) and be licensed annually.

Qualifying vehicles

a) Private/Light Goods - including buses used for voluntary, community or other non-profit making purposes i.e. a vehicle not required to have a Public Service Vehicle Licence.

b) Motorcycles and Tricycles.

c) Private HGV - but excluding vehicles designed for, or adapted for use for, the conveyance of goods or burden and put to a commercial use on a public road e.g. unladen HGVs and HGVs used for driver training/testing purposes.

d) Special Vehicles - mobile cranes/pumps, road rollers, works trucks and digging machines (excluding showmen's goods/showmen's haulage vehicles).

e) Haulage Vehicles - not used for haulage purposes.

Reply to
Alan J. Wylie