Cold Start Light not working

Hi Guys further to my previous post (thanks to Simon and David for advice).

The reason I haven't seen the cold start light glow on my S3 Diesel is because it doesn't work. The vehicle fires up no probs but i'm having to guess how long to hold the key in the plugs warm up position. I took the dash out this morning and checked the bulb, it works no probs. There doesn't seem to be any current getting to the inner part of the holder. I have also checked fuses.

Any suggestions on how to sort this gratefully recieved.

Cheers

Luis

Reply to
Luis Troyano

If you have a multimeter (or a bulb on a piece of wire!) check that power is getitng to the glowplugs - if not, it could be the ballast resistor (on the bulkhead - follow the wire from the rear glow-plug).

Also as David said, the plugs on the Series Land Rovers are low voltage ones wired in series - if one is blown (or disconnected) none of them will work. Disconnect the plugs and check the resistance on each one - should only be an Ohm or two - open circuit means it's blown and needs replacing.

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

20 secs max.

Check the power from terminal1 of the start switch, this should be 12v when held in glow position. This wire(Brown/Red) connects to a resistor, then to the glowplugs (Yellow/Brown wire) Check the glowplug end of the yellow/brown wire to make sure you are getting power. (approx 7 volts) If you are getting power here, then check the resistance of the glowplugs to earth. They should have a resistance of 3.2 Ohms approx, across all 4 plugs. If you are getting open circuit, then one or more plugs are blown. Test resistance of each plug, which should be approx 0.8 Ohms

If you are getting power, and the resistance is OK, then your glowplugs are working, and it is simply a fault in the warning light circuit. The warning light is wired across the resistor. The Brown/red wire at the bulb holder should show 12v when the switch is held to glow, and the White/Blue should show approx 7 volts when the switch is held to glow. If either of these show open circuit, check the wiring between the bulbholder, and the resistor.

The glowplug circuit is not fused.

Reply to
SimonJ

Hi guys thanks again for the advice.

If one of the plugs was blown or faulty would the engine still run ok and fire up ok?

I have used the S3 today with no probs.

Sorry for the obvious questions!

Thanx Luis

bulbholder,

Reply to
Luis Troyano

Yes it would - certainly in this warmer weather, but will take quite a lot of cranking to start and is likely to be quite smokey when it does start. Once started it would run as normal - the heater plugs aren't powered once the engine is running.

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

Cheers Simon, that explains it.

Many thanks for your help aga>