Comparing off-road sites

It sometimes seems difficult to get a feel for what the different off- road sites are like. Even when there are lots of photographs, they tend to be short on context.

And there seems to be a fascination with mud.

I spent a lifetime farming on heavy clay. I don't like mud. I don't think it's fun.

But what would I hope for in a description of a site? Well, start with some idea of the size, area and lengths of any routes. And, OK, you have to satisfy the mud-freaks, but don't forget the rest of us. What's the balance between routes you drive on the surface and routes where you have to drive in the surface? Similarly with wading. I realise depths vary with weather, but is the ground underneath firm?

On the day, if you have marked routes, how do you mark the alternatives? Do you have a map. Have you tested the wading depths needed, so you can at least warn of the difficult places? Any places that an LWB vehicle maybe ought to avoid?

I suppose that, in the end, I'm thinking of something not unlike the way that ski runs are graded. Although, what I've seen, there are often ways of providing less extreme options on a route. Maps and signposts again.

Anyone got any thoughts from the organisers side of the fence. I have a feeling that providing this sort of info might conjure up liability issues.

Reply to
David G. Bell

I waffled on about this previously, I'd like to see trench crossing, log crossing, axle-twister runs, steps to climb, rocky paths of different grades, side-slopes with a bank to help catch you if you take it too far, etc etc.

Mud pits are boring and unimaginative and take little skill to negotiate, but that's all we seem to get. They're easy to make and you don't have to worry about safety too much I suppose, which is probably why.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

It may also be funny for the audience when somebody gets stuck.

Reply to
David G. Bell

On or around Sun, 14 May 2006 15:11:13 +0100 (BST), snipped-for-privacy@zhochaka.org.uk ("David G. Bell") enlightened us thusly:

yeah, allows of plenty of photo opportunites.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hi Graham.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

"David G. Bell" uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I have had two fantastic days out on Cannock Chase which was run by Overlander Training, they are allowed a number of days by the forresty commision and had sole access but for Emergency services training (I've yet to blag that course :-( ) or general forrestry stuff.

The courses weren't cheap as off road goes , I recall £60 for the first session and £40 for the second. The First session was 9.00 start, in to training, and I mean training in your own vehicle on hill climbs, failed hill climbs and recovery from failed hill climbs. They it was a full on day of driving around being guided where needs be, advised of tree stumps where the need arose and such like.

The second occasion was evening / night drive for veterans and also by chance included a stop for coffee at the top of a hill to watch three firework companies conduct a display to impress potential customers which went on for a good hour or so. This was several hours of driving across different tracks, crossing logs, Hill climbs and decents, cross axle opportunities ect.

There was little in the way of mud on either session.

I guess I'm trying to say that you get what you pay for.

The alternative £30 to thrape around a mud pit gets tiring and also dangerous on occasions in my opinion where you have all and sundry turning up in anything that'll fire up and demonstrate any remote movement capability. I find these events a little unnerving. (not to be mistaken with our unofficial meets which is really just an excuse to take the piss in the flesh)

I found the alternative to the likes of the days on the Chase are the use of Green lanes, but thats not off roading really.

A grading system would be good but you would need consistancy. I've seen greenlanes said to be tame by one person which appeared to me to be pushing ones luck even disregarding the weather.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I went to Tong in Bradford yesterday for one of their bi-monthly pay and play days and I have to say that the site is very good indeed. Routes are graded blue (easy) red (harder) and black (difficult), the site is built on a wooded hillside which means a good variety of terrain. There are loads of axle twisters, climbs, descents and rutted tracks along with mud and water aplenty but natural as opposed to man made bomb holes. It is £50 for the day which is a lot admittedly but it really does push you ( I had to winch twice due to slippery tree routes on narrow bands rendering traction near impossible!). The only problem is that the nature of pay and play means that you always get a good crop of idiots who just drive too damn fast, there are so many people who buy LandRovers and other 4x4's and have no idea how to drive off-road yet they think that they are better than you when they crash down a track at 20 mph+ bouncing all over the place and probably destroying their suspension and tyres in the process!!

Nevertheless a great site (which can be hired for club events incidentally) and I will be going next time!

Andy

1989 V8 90 CSW
Reply to
Andy