scary landrover viewing experience

I saw an ad in the local paper last week for a '58 series 2, two litre diesel and didn't think anymore of it until my mate asked if I would go and look at it for him as he would be working till late.

No probs, i think, nothing planned for Sunday, as i had already fixed my tailgate (Thanks Lee_D!) so i plan to combine a pub lunch and viewing of said landrover up in the hills. It should be noted at this point that it gets very strange when you wander into North Pembrokeshire.

Most of the houses out there are reminiscent of Royston Vasey and the whole country drive thing turns into a very surreal experience.

I phoned the guy last night and he seemed fairly normal apart from the fact he didn't want to tell me his name, but, fair enough i thought, he didn't know me from Adam i didn't think much more of it..........

I drove as requested to the alloted village and arranged to meet him there although I found it strange that he asked how many of us there were.

Ten minutes later he still hadn't arrived but we (Ang and I) were chatting merrily and thinking about where to go for lunch when we realised that there was a face at the window. And when I say face, I mean exactly that. You couldn't see the rest of his head as for some reason he had taken to wearing a T-shirt completely over his head in a Lawrence of Arabia motif!

He looked furtively around and asked if we had been followed.

Needless to say, we looked at the Land Rover extremely quickly and made sure we could get a quick get away. Wierd!

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

Local Landies for local people then? Derek

Reply to
Derek

You're not joking. I asked him why he was selling and he told me he was moving to Bulgaria to become a wind farmer. He was deadly serious.

What I couldn't work out was if he was to go somewhere windy enough to make a wind farm, surely it would keep blowing the T-shirt off his head. Surreal

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

Dave R wrote:

|| I saw an ad in the local paper last week for a '58 series 2, two || litre diesel and didn't think anymore of it until my mate asked if I || would go and look at it for him as he would be working till late. || || || No probs, i think, nothing planned for Sunday, as i had already fixed || my tailgate (Thanks Lee_D!) so i plan to combine a pub lunch and || viewing of said landrover up in the hills. It should be noted at this || point that it gets very strange when you wander into North || Pembrokeshire. || || Most of the houses out there are reminiscent of Royston Vasey and the || whole country drive thing turns into a very surreal experience. || || I phoned the guy last night and he seemed fairly normal apart from || the fact he didn't want to tell me his name, but, fair enough i || thought, he didn't know me from Adam i didn't think much more of || it.......... || || I drove as requested to the alloted village and arranged to meet him || there although I found it strange that he asked how many of us there || were. || || Ten minutes later he still hadn't arrived but we (Ang and I) were || chatting merrily and thinking about where to go for lunch when we || realised that there was a face at the window. And when I say face, I || mean exactly that. You couldn't see the rest of his head as for some || reason he had taken to wearing a T-shirt completely over his head in || a Lawrence of Arabia motif! || || He looked furtively around and asked if we had been followed. || || Needless to say, we looked at the Land Rover extremely quickly and || made sure we could get a quick get away. Wierd! || || Dave

Doctors have a code for patients' notes, or so I'm told - NFN (Normal for Norfolk).

Perhaps we should have NFP as well. I've met a few odd characters up that way, many of whom seem to have a lot of tall green stuff in their greenhouses.

Go on, where/who was it? Off-group if you'd prefer.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Crymych way somewhere. I marked it on the GPS so I can mark a 5 mile exclusion zone round it. Don't know who the hell it was.

As you know, i'm not a small chap, and have never really worried about my personal safety before today.

Thing that annoyed me also is that I didn't really concentrate on the condition of the vehicle too much, what do you reckon it's worth?

Easy fixable for MOT, saw MOT failure sheet. Wheels bearings and stuff. Chassis number 146900263 (is that an early one?) It's supposed to be a '58 but i think that the 9 in the chassis number means 59? Overdrive, sound chassis, bulkhead passable, and old but original 2lt diesel. It didn't have a colour as such! New clutch, but rough body.

Any ideas on price / worth? Do you reckon that the guys on the Series 2 forum would be able to work out how old it was by chassis number?

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

C/N: 146900263

1 Landrover 46 Series II, Basic 88", Diesel RHD Home Market 9 1959 Model Year 00263 Serial Number

(Information Courtesy of

Given the way the bloke is acting, are you sure it isn't stolen?

2litre diesels can be big trouble. They have wet liners, and if the liners/o-rings go........ well you can get the o-rings but forget about buying new liners, you'll have to source them from somewhere. And the 2litre specific parts can be very hard to get. Consequently the reconditioning costs are prohibitive.

Also very underpowered. Although they can give years of trouble free service, dodgy ones aren't worth the scrap metal value.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I did suspect that at first and then realised he was eccentric. Despite his olde world appearance he had a photo driving licence and the name matched that on the V5.

What do they mean by serial number though, is it that the 263rd model made in 1959?

Reply to
Dave R

Dave R uttered summat worrerz funny about:

"Nurse Nurse...Dave has spat his tablets out again!"

;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Yep - it's the 263rd Series II, Basic 88", Diesel RHD Home Market mode lamde that year.

Reply to
EMB

On or around Mon, 15 May 2006 11:09:11 +1200, EMB enlightened us thusly:

The serial number is for all SIIs, not just 1959. so it's the 263rd SII 88" diesel.

it's an early sII then. But it's not anything special like number 1. My SIII is less than 500 but that doesn't really make it that unusual.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

What do you reckon it's worth then?

Reply to
Dave R

It depends on who to. For a SII officianado it's quite early, and havng a running, possibly orignal fit, 2L diesel makes it relatively rare to a keen SII type. To someone who just wants a Land Rover it's probably not worth a lot. I think it'd be a terrible shame if it had a transplant. Were it local I'd certainy offer something for it to keep it original condition.

Just my 2p.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Would you like to put a figure on that statement?..............

Please!

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

Dave R uttered summat worrerz funny about:

He did ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

what, 2p? lol. I might just buy it because it smelt mice, he was running it on chip fat!

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

I meant smelt "nice" not "or mice"............!

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

|| Austin Shackles wrote: ||| On or around Mon, 15 May 2006 11:09:11 +1200, EMB ||| enlightened us thusly: ||| |||| Dave R wrote: |||| ||||| What do they mean by serial number though, is it that the 263rd ||||| model made in 1959? |||| |||| Yep - it's the 263rd Series II, Basic 88", Diesel RHD Home Market |||| mode lamde that year. ||| ||| The serial number is for all SIIs, not just 1959. so it's the ||| 263rd SII 88" diesel. ||| ||| ||| it's an early sII then. But it's not anything special like number ||| 1. My SIII is less than 500 but that doesn't really make it that ||| unusual. -- ||| Austin Shackles.

my opinions are just that ||| "It is a characteristic of the human mind to hate the man one has ||| injured" Tacitus (c.55 - c.117) Agricola, 45 || || || What do you reckon it's worth then?

You could try a post on the S2 Club forum:

There's a lot of very knowledgeable people there, and maybe someone who wanted an early S2 as a project. Worth a try?

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I bought a s3 that smelt of mice. That was minging!. We had to strip out the interior. Take it all to the tip and then pressure wash it multiple times to make it inhabitable. They had pissed in the centre seat so much that it had run past the seatbox lid and the top of the gearbox was all moldy stinking and rusty!

Reply to
Tom Woods

I did think of that but it is taking a while for "admin to set up an account" so have to wait, unless you want to leave one on my behalf?

Dave

Reply to
Dave R