Coolant Loss

What sort of coolant loss over say a 20 - 30 mile of short runs could be excepted if Rad Cap is split ?

Thanks Steve

Reply to
Steven Chapman

I recently tried to take a Series from Peterborough (LRO show) to Luton, with no rubber seals on the rad cap. We gave up about 20 miles from Peterborough, after it overheated and drained the radiator for the third time. We towed it the rest of the way on a rope.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Reply to
Paul Coley

If it is not leaking out visibly sounds like a head gasket

Depends on how bad the split is.. Ultimately it's going to keep boiling over and as such not keeping your engine cool enough even if the fluid does stay in. The system relys on pressure to prevent boiling occuring.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

if the engine is running a viscous or directly coupled fan, and assuming that there is no other fault cooling wise, then the coolant loss will be minimal, and the engine should not overheat.

The thermostat is set to open at

Reply to
terry

What engine? With a 4.6 this could be indicative of bigger problems.

Ron Beckett Emu Plains, Australia

1995 Range Rover HSE 4.6 Litre V8

Reply to
The Becketts