cost of welding?

Anyone know what the present cost of welding is? Ta very much.

Reply to
Cyberwraith

By the pound?

I just had my rear crossmember patched up, surface plating cut out and replaced across about 50% of the surface, repainted and tailgate mountings re-done, cost me £80.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Per inch ?????

Reply to
Marc Draper

Per hole?

Reply to
Nige

Well a decent welder should be on £150 a day jobbing plus on costs (insurance / van / consumeables / advertising) - work backwards from that. (unless you want to weld a pipeline and have it X-rayed, in which case add a few naughts !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Just some minor welding on Edie's chassis. 1) a 3" plate. 2) the outside corner of drivers footwell plating. 3) a 2" plate on inner sill. Thats all for now .

Reply to
Cyberwraith

In message , Cyberwraith writes

If you have to ask, you can't afford a Landie?

Reply to
Bill

Never had welding done before, and I always check out the costs of anything first. Common sense. I can afford my Landie thank you very much for your wonderful help.

Reply to
Cyberwraith

Depends on how much prep you want to do, the area you are in, how well you know the guy, if is simple, if it is cash only...

Lots of places will be very cheap if you do the cutting out, stripping out of trim etc, but factor in the removal of trim and prep for the guy doing it and the cost soon rockets!

-- To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper

200TDi Disco with rotten floor 200 TDi DIsco, "the offroader" 1976 S3 Lightweight
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

The automotive engineering firm I moonlight for occasionally charges a minimum of £4 to turn the MIG on, and the costs go up from there. On a larger job the gas usage will be noted and charged (at a rate that covers wire & tips as well), consumables (cleaning & grinding stuff) charged, and a hourly rate around £20.

If you want TIG welding then add 50% to the above rates.

Reply to
EMB

To all except Bill, thanks that is the info I was looking for. I have found a guy who is willing to do it for costs plus small charge.

Reply to
Cyberwraith