D1 Ignition system question

Hi,

On my 1998 Disco 1V8 3.9 there are two small black, what I think are resistors, fitted to the wires which go to the positive of the ignition coil. I do not think they are diodes as their resistance is the same in both directions (+- 7ohms if I remember correctly.). Is this the Ignition Ballast Resistor or what.

I have seen other Discos with a slightly finned 40mm x 12mm rod like, finned item fixed to the firewall on a folded aluminium fitting, now this looks like a ballast resistor as it can handle heat, my Disco does not have this fitted?

Please educate me :

Reply to
Greg False

I think you'll find this is the resistor to dim the headlamps.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Are you refering to the slightly finned 40mm x 12mm rod like finned item, I thought the headlights had a seperate DIP filament, when do the headlights DIM?

Thanks Greg

Reply to
Greg False

Yes they have 2 filaments , one for main beam and one for dip beam.

But some markets require a "dimdip".

This is a dull glow to the headlamps when the side lights are on and the engine is running. This done by using a heavy duty resistor in conjunction with the main beam filament.

They started doing this in about 1986 and has gradually stopped.

My '92 and '94 Defenders have it but my 2006 does not.

Reply to
Marc Draper

Thanks, do you happen to know what the small black peanuts on the positive wire to the coil are :

Reply to
Greg False

Dunno, have a bite and see if they taste ok. Are they radio interference suppressors or is it the insulation swelled up because of the wire getting warm?

Martin

Reply to
Oily

If the coil lead has white/pink insulation this is a resistive lead to drop the supply voltage in normal use to match the low voltage rating of the coil. Coils on ballasted systems are not 12v coils and are rated to match the reduced battery voltage when cranking which is fed directly to the coil.

Reply to
Dougal

The resistive lead on the RRC, I think, had a pink marker on a black lead.

Reply to
Dougal

OK, looks like I'm not drawing the correct mind picture here. I will take some pics and post the link. The coil is a 6v coil. The resistors/diodes have a spade connection on each end and plug into the positive coil wire in series. Thanks for the help Greg

Reply to
Greg False

On or around Mon, 12 Feb 2007 20:18:43 +0000, Marc Draper enlightened us thusly:

dip beam filament... :-)

actually, there are various systems, although it may be that the LR ones are all the same.

the more clever ones change the 2 dipped heads from parallel wired to series wired.

Reply to
Austin Shackles