Ignition system failure

My ignition system failed last night on my 91. I have no spark at the plug and I have gone through the Haynes Ignition system - check and I have battery voltage at the ignition coil. I have checked the coil and the primary and secondary resistance are both correct. At this point the book leaves you hanging.

I am left with checking the Igniter (1993 and earlier models). My only clue as to what this is, is this..... "(it's mounted on the right side of the engine compartment)." I just love Haynes books. Maybe my book is to old. 1990-1997 version.

I can't even find this thing on

I really could use some help..

Reply to
David

Start by cleaning the major underhood ground points, on the head near the throttle body and under the master cylinder.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Thanks, Lanny. I will give it a try.

I have had two Mazda dealers insist that it is built into the Ignition coil, which is true for the 94 and higher. The third one finally found it in some diagram and called it an "electronic ignition". part number B61P18251. $244.15... and 2-3 days from factory.

Reply to
David

David,

Make sure it's not your timing belt. When the belt breaks, you get no spark because the cam isn't turning, thus not sending a signal to the sensor and not firing the plugs. You can look through the oil filler hole to see if the cams are turning when you crank the engine. Very, very, very few ignition failures (and even those are often a bad ground and not a true failure), timing belts break all the time if beyond the change interval. Good luck with it.

Tom

92 Red

David wrote:

Reply to
Tom Howlin

Thanks! Everyone.

Cleaning the grounding... I thought was a sure thing. It looked horrible. But noting.

Looking at the Timing Belt... This was the last thing on my list. The belt was only a year old. Good thing for LLT warranties from AutoZone.

No Cam movement. I can only hope it really is the timing belt.

Thanks again for everyone's help. Now the Hard part begins. .

Reply to
David

I finished putting the timing belt in last night about 8:00PM and she sounds great. I am starting to get good at this.

There was no LLT on the belt from autozone only (3 months). I used a Goodyear belt this time.

Does anyone have any ideas for a better belt?

Reply to
David

Mazda.

Reply to