D90 1997 300Tdi rear brakes??

On or around 7 Oct 2005 15:40:55 GMT, Derry Argue enlightened us thusly:

cast iron is softer than steel caliper backing.

We never imagined it was. But I think the fact that you said you cleaned about ½ cwt. of sand out of it points to the cause of failure. Previous maintenance wasn't adequate for the operating environment, I imagine.

Mind, it's a valid point that the front calipers with 2 pins through the pad wouldn't suffer this kind of failure.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It is plain to see that they are totally shot.

Do you know what use the vehicle was put to before it came to you?

Was it a site car?

That rear caliper and pad set up is used on all RR classic, all Discoveries up until Disco II and Defender 90's 93-98 . So it You could not really call it a design fault just adverse working conditions and poor maintenance / cleaning.

Td5 90's now have pins through the pads at the rear.

Reply to
Marc Draper

Marc Draper wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mdeng.demon.co.uk:

Gamekeeper's vehicle for a large Highland estate. I've traced the history.

I think that accounts for the major components of the vehicle being in good condition (major service items have obviously been regularly attended to). Things like the heater sliders, etc. were all seized solid with rust! It was in great need of TLC, which it is getting from me. The engine, etc. is perfect and I seriously doubt that it was ever flogged. Just takes time catching up with all these minor items.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

In message , Derry Argue writes

Oh yes the game keepers defenders that I look after are always bad. They are always working in the muck which is a sure fire way of knackering everything.

Reply to
Marc Draper