D90 - One propshaft on, Difflock engaged...Can I drive?

Hi all, I currently have another thread running about a dead propshaft (rear) I have.

At the moment the 90 has the front prop in place and difflock engaged. Am I OK to drive it (on the roads) or should I not? I could do with making a 25 mile round trip if nothing will get damaged?

The reason I ask is that I am not sure about wind-up in the garbox / T.Box.

Thanks Jon

Reply to
Jon

Yes. You will have front wheel drive only, however, and you should bear in mind that the handling may be different. Also note that not only the drive, but the handbrake, depends on the diff lock remaining engaged.

With no rear prop shaft there can be no wind up, so no worries there. Avoid using low range, although you probably can't get enough grip with the front wheels to damage anything by excess torque.

JD

Reply to
JD

It's not going to do any immediate harm, but should be viewed as a temporary measure. Mind you, some people drive around for ages like like that - even towing!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

In message , Jon writes

In addition to the previous points. Make sure you put the prop nuts back on with washers as spacers because the handbrake drums have a habit of falling off. And that is one huge bit of metal to fly off while driving down the motorway. The retaining screws are not up to the job without a rear prop.

Reply to
Marc Draper

Thanks for the pointers. My retaining screws certainly arent (ther'e missing!!)

In the end I found 2 x M6 or M8 bolts that fitted and screwed them in as well as using washers behind the prop bolts.

Thanks Jon

Reply to
Jon