Dealer muppets

It's a whole different world, with a new way of thinking.

And I shudder to think what hardware there could be which would analyse that traffic -- does that data network have anywhere you could connect a sniffer, and what happens if it does, and the technician doesn't replace a terminator?

Reply to
David G. Bell

Had they recently relinquished an Alfa Romeo franchise? :-)

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

I'm not sure that attributing the comments will save you from a libel action. As the publisher you should perhaps only print things that you can prove to be true.

Why not just blank out the name of the dealer and put 'North of England' dealer or whatever. That way you cannot defame anyone in particular.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

David French posted ...

Heheheh, Merlins, Doncaster. I have a '97 Disco 300 Tdi, 3 door, totally basic, with no electric stuff on it, so only wind-up windows. Went in to parts dept to pick up / order a small plastic plug for the nearside window winder.

Chap behind desk says, "But all Discoveries have electric windows .... "

Reply to
Paul - xxx

There are a couple of issues here:

Firstly, for any publisher to effectively indemnify themselves, they can word any publication in such a way as to avoid contributing to the libel. "John Smith reported..." or "it has been alleged" count...

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, any action for libel will be dependent upon a cost-gain analysis. If the costs of bringing an action will not be met by any award when proven, the action is unlikely to proceed.

I know, having recently been down this route. The advice I was given was simple; The costs would never be regained, even though there was irrefutable (recorded) evidence of the libel. I therefore decided that it simply wasn't worth it...

Sadly, the law in the UK is not as handy as, for example, that in Eire when it comes to libel...

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

If somebody complains to me, and I think they're justified, then I'd remove whatever they didn't like. I'm not too worried about being sued, as Martyn points out, there wouldn't be a great deal of point in somebody going to all the effort.

David

Reply to
David French

Indeed, you can only lose what you already have. It is, however, essential to defend a libel action so if someone decides to have a go (and it won't be their money they are spending) it will cost you dear in time, sleep, money or all three.

I think I pay £125 / hour for (good) legal advice. I have a terrible feeling I also pay £125 for the hour of Land Rover talk that precedes each meeting!

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

well, they found out the Air Flow meter was faulty via testbook, and that turbo was overboosting. They then left that alone and tried to find other reasons, i.e. the ECU (had i dunked it in water etc etc) I would have thought it was pretty bloody obvious if Turbo was overboosting they would have checked that next? But no, not them. probably just a way of screwing a few more hours labour out of me................hee hee, he has a Range Rover Vogue and a Freebie Es premium loads-a-money, easy target.

;-) Dave

Reply to
Foxhunter

David> And I shudder to think what hardware there could be which David> would analyse that traffic -- does that data network have David> anywhere you could connect a sniffer, and what happens if David> it does, and the technician doesn't replace a terminator?

The car doesn't go!

AFAIK, it's wired differently to a SCSI chain or old-style ethernet coax and the termination is actually in the device, but you can add another device to the bus with a couple of scotchlock connectors.

AndyC

--

+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Andy Cunningham aka AndyC the WB | andy -at- cunningham.me.uk | +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |
- Everything you wanted to know || about the P38A Range Rover but were afraid to ask. |+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+"And everything we want to get/We download from the InternetAll we hear is/Internet Ga-Ga/Cyberspace Goo-goo" -- from "Radio Ga Ga"/"We will rock you"

Harwoods, Croydon

Went down in the Lightweight to get a filter for the Discovery, parked outside part's dept.

When in and was greeted by spotty oik who said - "That's nice, what is it, a Jeep?"

Reply to
Muddylightweight

NOT recommended most vehicles using a can network just have a twisted pair of wires with a fixed resistance of about 60 ohms scotchlock into it and you'll alter this

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

£72.50 per hour at CD Bramall in Aylesbury, up 4 quid in the 2 months since they took over the dealership from Dutton Forshaw.

Anybody know what went on in the car sales arena recently? I got a letter from CDs saying "Due to changes in regulation we have taken over this franchise"

OTOH I'm paying 37.50 per hour for work at Thame Landrover who are actually just an offshoot of Chipperfields in Kings Langley who are a main dealer - TLR only really deal with over four year old landies - not a problem - Skippy is 21!

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

In article , David G. Bell writes

Guesses: the data rate won't be very high - kBaud at best, probably. You'd use the buses as locally as possible for engine mgmt, etc. so that traffic was managed properly - dodgy having indicator flasher commands overriding ECU ones, for example.

In this type of application, the data content of packets ought to be very small. They'll probably be using something similar to (but simpler than) token ring for robustness.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Do a Google search for CANbus. I was idly browsing the other day thinking very broadly about my need to completely rewire the 101 (so many redundant wires, poor voltage in the light circuit, instruments all over the place) and wondering how easy it would be to install a bus system.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Happy Birthday to Skippy!

Reply to
David G. Bell

All you need is a lap-top and a plug! I was feature owner for the CAN-bus on the new Bentley - problem diagnosis and diagnostics on bus-based systems are much, much easier and quicker than on "traditional" harnesses! The trick is for the diagnostics engineer to interpret that data to acertain the cause of a problem - and as long as diagnostic engineers continue to be recuited from the pool of "everyday software engineers", i.e. contactors, and considered to be a necessary evil by project managers then things are not going to be as good as they could be!

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

It would be a hell of a lot simpler just to plug into the J1830 diagnostics connector! If you *really* wanted to tap into the CAN bus, as long as the device has an impedence (not resistance) of 37 ohms then CAN will cope with any number of devices. CAN is only a packet stream, interperting the packet headers to see who they are adressed to is up to the devices attached.

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

diagnostics

I was basing my answer on the DAF trucks I work on which use the system I describe When I did the training I was told that this was basically the same system as used in cars etc But your probably right for cars and Landrovers they said to add anything into the system you have to fit a canbus extender as each end of the network the ECU has a built in resistance of 120 ohms and just cutting and adding will cause the ECU's to throw a wobbly thinking about it they keep doing this anyway so it might not be a bad idea

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

Which leads nicely onto the hourly labour charges of some well known Land Rover franchised dealers....!

Reply to
Llandrovers

Simon> In article , Simon> David Simon> G. Bell writes >> And I shudder to think what hardware there could be which would >> analyse that traffic -- does that data network have anywhere >> you could connect a sniffer, and what happens if it does, and >> the technician doesn't replace a terminator?

Simon> Guesses: the data rate won't be very high - kBaud at best, Simon> probably. You'd use the buses as locally as possible for

ISTR the CAN bus is 500Kb/s or so - and needs to be that fast to handle the data throughput. As I understand it, each time the engine RPM changes my a measurable amount, a CAN message is sent with the new value.

Simon> In this type of application, the data content of packets Simon> ought to be very small. They'll probably be using something Simon> similar to (but simpler than) token ring for robustness.

I was kind of assuming something similar to TR but with shorter packet lengths.

The data transfer itself is on two wires plus ground. One wire is

0V/1V and the other is 2.5V/1.5V for a signal (so both should carry the either 0V or 2.5V or 1V/1.5V at any instant in time). The wires are twisted together so any external interference should cancel out when the signals are added together at the end.