Dealer near Salisbury

Got a relative of a friend that has just turned 17 who wants a S/H Defender

90 hardtop and only has a few £Thou to play with. Any reliable S/H dealers in the Salisbury area that can be trusted not to stitch him up? Treated right they could get a buyer for life. I know the 2.5 turbo diesel is to be avoided on early vehicles, any other possible "don't buy..." pointers he should look for?
Reply to
Bob Hobden

First job, get an insurance quote. Become at one with quote and then start looking with vastly reduced budget.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

You will be very very lucky to get a grand change from that with the insurance

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

"Mark Solesbury" wrote ... after Lee_D wrote after

I think he realises the insurance will be significant but it will probably be less than on any other vehicle for a 17 year old. What I don't understand is that I'm told he has wanted a 90 since a child but doesn't know much about the ins and outs or where to buy.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Bob Hobden uttered summat worrerz funny about:

It's just a matter of how fanatical you are really. I want to win the lottery but only buy around 3 or 4 tickets a year. :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Thu, 22 Nov 2007 16:37:10 -0000, "Bob Hobden" enlightened us thusly:

Personally, I'd go with a decent series IIA or very early III SWB initially. Insurance is cheaper and the motor is cheaper, buy a petrol one 'cos the diesels are SLOW. get it old enough to be tax exempt, and learn the LR ropes...

running a tax-exempt series has to be about the cheapest LR experience out there (other than getting the company to buy it for you, natch). There's not that much difference between an early 90 and a series, anyway :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

LOL!

It's like comparing a tent and a 5 star hotel!

The logic is there mind.

If I were 17 I'd have gone for a smart but common car at least until reaching a certain age.

As it happened my first (on the road) car was a 1976 Mini pick-up with 1275 gt lump. Super fun but limited in cockpit space.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I spent a lot of time, aged 18-22, persuading 1600 crossflows into Ford Anglias. It seemed like quite a reasonable idea at the time although the reasoning behind it escapes me now. The insurance was, admittedly, punative.

But then I saw the light and returned to my first true love. Motorcycles.

45 years and two near fatal accidents racing F2s later I've given even that up but a 4.6HSE P38 doesn't say much for my late developer sanity.

Interestingly my mum promised to pay for driving lessons for my son on his 21st birthday. He keeps meaning to get round to it but he's now 26. I couldn't get onto wheels fast enough so it's interesting to see the fact that he doesn't care.

Sorry. Topic drift.. nigelH

Reply to
Nigel Hewitt

I wanted a 90 since i was a boy....

This was my 1st car - which i bought before i passed my test much to my mothers disapproval!!

I sadly had to get rid, as i could not afford to insure it :(

It was however, the best one i have ever had

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Happy days I was Mini-crazed at that age starting off with cooking 850 and culminating in a Clubman1275 GT one of the 500 homologation run with daft brakes that would have stopped a truck everything ventilated and servoed oddly my insurance costs about the same 30 years on albeit on a Grp13- 15 Disco I don't like to think how much it costed when I decided to go nuts and change to a 2 litre Vitesse. Derek

Reply to
Derek