Defender 200tdi temp gauge

Hi all,

Im still puzzling over my temperature problems. I have asked a friend if I can borrow his infrared temperature gauge/thermometer thingy so that will give me the actual operating temperature.

What should it be? I know the stat is supposed to open at 88°C, so Im guessing a reading of 90°C would be expected.

Further, I know that sender units are closely matched to their gauge (thanks Nige). I have also seen a temperature gauge off another Defender 200tdi but it is different to mine?!?

My gauge has 1 white bit covering 3/4 of the gauge, followed by a small black bit and then the red section. The other gauge I have seen has a small white strip about 2 needles wide to the left, then a big black blit with a horizontal white line above it, then the red. Are they both correct for a 200tdi??? Could mine be off a 300tdi?

My main reason for asking is that I have no glow plug light on the dash either (not that that bothers me), so am wondering if its the original dash and clocks?

Thanks Jon

Reply to
Jon

There are 6 possible temperature guages! However, they are all 12V.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

First Prize would be to put a thermocouple in the top tank and measure the actual water temp. I don't think the infra red widget will do much for you as you will be looking at the block and not the water temp inside the head and pipes.

If you were in South Africa near Durban I would be able to help you out, however I fear that this is not the case.

Regards Stephen

Reply to
Fanie

Richard, Even though they are all 12V, are they all "the same", barring the way the cold, warm and hot bits are shown??

I am assuming that if there is only 1 sender unit for the Defender

200tdi and 6 gauges they will all be the same??

...basically any gauge from a Defender 200tdi will be OK??

Reply to
Jon

I am going to do one of these soon:

dewils80

As far As I can tell there is only the one sender, and the differences between the guages are cosmetic only. If you had somehow got hold of a 6V guage it would, I think, read over temperature all the time.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

so Jon was, like...

When I put the V8 in the 2.5 diesel 90, I used the V8 temp sender as it was already in place. I spent ages worrying that the V8 was running too hot until I had a "duh" moment and swapped back the the 2.5 sender. Read as normal after that. I don't know the details, but I assumed after this that the senders and gauges are matched in some way.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Tue, 19 Jul 2005 21:46:31 +0100, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

they are. from the intermotor book:

all series: 52770

90/110 pre defender exc. V8: 52890 90/110 V8: 52930 D90/D110 2.3, 2.5, 2.5D: 52970 sundry Rangies: 52730

and a few others.

The book doesn't list electrical properties for 'em. sundry different threads, though.

all those are 5/8" UNF, so the electrical properties must be what differs.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Had exactly the same problem when the temp sender disintegrated when i did my engine swap, replaced sender with a genuine LR V8 item but it read over temperature (must be different ohms / celcius ratings between gauges & senders). Replaced both sender & gauge with Durite units (needed a thread adaptor for the sender) and ran my own wiring.. problem solved (peace of mind too)

Tom LR 90 4.6

Reply to
Tom Gilmour

I'd guess that the V8 came out of a Range Rover, in which case the sender is 6V.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I have got myself all confused over this...

I have replaced the sender unit with a genuine one for my engine, but the voltage thing is confusing me now.

I have 12V at the "input" side of the gauge and 4V - 5V out of the gauge and 4V - 5V at the sender unit. Is this classed as a 12V sender unit or something else?

I think I remember reading a thread somewhere else about 4-5v being correct but arent sure. Could someone please confirm what voltage I should have at the sender unit for a 200tdi defender?

Thanks Jon

Reply to
Jon

so beamendsltd was, like...

It did. You win a coconut. :-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

so Jon was, like...

Point being, I think, that it is not the correct sender for the engine you require, but the correct one for the gauge. IYSWIM.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Wed, 20 Jul 2005 22:18:27 +0100, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

precisely. you need the gauge for the original engine fitment. since they all seem to be 5/8" thread, this shouldn't be a problem.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:44:07 +0100, Austin Shackles enlightened us thusly:

that should of course read "sender".

Reply to
Austin Shackles

OK, new sender unit is part PRC8593 which I believe is correct for a Defender 200Tdi Engine...

.. Gauge - well it could be shagged, or it could actually be right and my engine on last legs!! Ho Hum!

When my temperature gauge arrives I will determine maximum actual water temp and post results.

Jon.

Reply to
Jon