750 tyres on defender 90

Hi all ! happy new year . In need of info ? I have just changed my tyres from standard to 750s & I am lead to believe that I will get better fuel consumption. Can any one tell me how much difference it will make & also how far out it will put my speedo ( do I need to have it re-calibrated. Many thanks, Aggis

Reply to
Aggis

In article , Aggis writes

HI

In theory you can fit the speedo drive gear from a 110 ( located in the transfer box at the end of the speedo cable) a ten second job.

In practice check the accuracy by what ever way you feel fit, I used a gps, I found that when I went from 205/16 to 33x12.50 R15 my speedo actually became accurate. But the odometer now under reads.

Reply to
marc

So marc was, like

Same here. Your speedo probably over-reads as standard, and bigger tyres can make it read correctly. Check first. And don't expect too much in the way of improvement to your fuel consumption. The only savings you could expect are from the small reduction in friction losses within the engine and transmission due to lower engine speeds, but I doubt if it would enough to be measurable. You may even find it gets worse, as you are having to change down more often. Big wheels are good, but not as an economy device. Don't forget that bigger tyres will affect the distance recorded, and hence your

*apparent* fuel consumption.
Reply to
Richard Brookman