Defender 90 lift pump

Does anyone have any words of wisdom regarding getting the fuel lines to seal after changing a diesel lift pump?

I changed mine after the engine cut out, and the old pump was definitely not pumping, but now with the new one, when I try to prime the system, there definitely sounds like air getting in and pumping does not harden up. I've used new olives and tightened as much as I dare. Is it normal to need to put any sealing paste or PTFE or something on the joint?

Cheers,

Fozzie

Reply to
Foz

Where's it leaking?

Are you just assuming it's leaking because it's not hardening up? You don't say what engine, but try turning the engine to a different position - on older vehicles at least these things run off the cam and can be troublesome to prime depending on how the cam is sitting. Did you loosen the bleed screw on the injection pump?

I'd smear a little fairy liquid or something around the joints, might help you see something. And if it doesn't, then at least they'll be cleaner ;-)

Regards,

William MacLeod

Reply to
willie

I am assuming it is leaking on the input-side of the pump at the fuel line / pump olive joint, as there is no fuel egress at any of the pressure side joints. Yes I did bleed at the fuel filter, which I had also changed. This is a 300 TDI and yes I have had to move the cam position to get the pump to work by hand. I have not tried fairy liquid on the joints, as I am sure I can hear air sucking and if something was blowing, there would be a fuel leak.

I guess it is possible that the new lift pump I have is faulty...

Reply to
Foz