Defender fuel pump problems

Hi

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about the fuel pump in the petrol tank on a defender (2000 model, td5, 130). Its making very strange high pitched noises. I think its on the way out, and have been quoted $1450 (Aussie dollars) for a new one.

Can they be salvaged/fixed? Or is there an alternative external or after market one?

Any comments/ thoughts appreciated.

cam

Reply to
cam obeirne

Mine started doing tat half way through the warrantee. LR said it is normal ..... 3 years and 100 000 km later ...still singing and still running. Believe only LR pump fits ;-)

Reply to
Aubrey

Hi Cam,

I've replaced mine with a pre-pump(in-tank pump)from an old 240/260 Volvo and they fit direct. Go to your nearest Swedish Wreckers and they have used ones by the dozens at the fraction of the price.

Hertriono

Reply to
Hertriono Kartowisastro

I think you vehicle might be petrol while the OP has a diesel. The diesel in-tank pump is a rather novel thing in that it pumps in two stages with fuel travelling to the engine during the first stage and returning to the in-tank pump to be pressurised to a higher level for the second stage. It does sound like a sophisticated/expensive piece of kit. As an aside, I don't like the TD5, considering it a clever but ultimately cheaply built and expensive to repair engine system by any standards.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

I stand corrected. I only read 'petrol tank', which Cam might mean 'fuel tank'and didn't read it was for a Td5.

Hertriono

Reply to
Hertriono Kartowisastro

Reply to