help on starting problem

hi,

wonder if anyone can help me with a problem i'm having with my landrover 90

b reg 1985 normally aspirated diesel.

basically when its been on a reasonable run (more than about 20 minutes) at reasonable speed (>50) if you stop the engine and restart immediately, its fine, but if you wait about 5 minutes (eg when you stop for diesel) it then won't restart for about 25 minutes.

It does turn over in this period, but very slowly (as if there is a drain on the battery - which there doesn't seem to be) but if you leave it alone for

20 minutes or so, it restarts fine.

if you run it slowly (eg off roading) it doesn't seem to have the same problem.

any advice gratefully recieved - i don't think its an electrical problem, as i've checked no drains on the battery, and rewired the questionable fan switch that i posted about earlier, so i'm a little stuck

cheers

Rob

Reply to
rob

Twas Fri, 8 Oct 2004 08:16:44 +0000 (UTC) when "rob" put finger to keyboard producing:

this is a long shot but, some bits would get hot after a long road run at 50> that would not get hot off-roading. could the expansion involved in some bit getting hot be weakening an already weak earth connection?

maybe bollocks but it's the first thing that came to mind.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Could it be a hose collapsing when hot and not being able to such air through causing a vacuum in the cylinders. No that sounds crap.

Starter relay getting hot and not letting sufficient amps through to the starter ?

Earth leed loose and moving when hot ?

Cheers

Paul

Reply to
Megalowmania

To be honest, if it's sluggish cranking at the time when the battery should be at its best, I'd reckon the problem is almost certainly an electrical connection or starter solenoid or starter motor problem.

Nick

Reply to
Nicknelsonleeds

if its a starter motor issue then i bet you have a paris rhone type starter.

you need new brushes fitting in the starter , then youll see how fast it should spin over .

Reply to
M0bcg

The most amazing thing about my series 3 compared to every other motor I have owned, is the way that she starts on the most sluggish of turnovers.

I have had 9 volts in the battery, flat by anyones rules and hopeless in any other motor, scarcely enough to even turn the engine over once, but the engine caught and I was soon charged up again.

Like I say amazing. maybe the last owner was the Pope :)

Reply to
Larry

In news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, Larry blithered:

Maybe but does he know anything about shark fishing?

Reply to
GbH