Defender Sidelights

Evenin,

Just been out for a spin now that ive got the 90 back from the garage to check its all ok for tomorrow..

This might be entirely me being a c*ck - The Sidelights lights on a defender.

I am sure that on the others i have had sidelight only ment the little ones above the indicators. This one seems to be different.

With sidelights on the little ones above the indicator come on, but also the main headlights but really dim.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Is that why the battery was borked?

My old ones never brought on the main lights at any brigtness?

What time you getting there Mark? You kipping in a tent or tupperware mansion?

Reply to
Nige

That's the dim-dip thingy that makes people think that just because the light comes out of the headlight aperture it's good enough to drive on in the fog - sorry, favourite gripe!

You should have conventional sidelights only with the engine stopped. The dim-dip thingy comes into effect when the engine is running (actually 'ignition' on, I think).

From the RVLighting Regs.

" The electrical connections to the obligatory dim-dip device or running lamps, as the case may be, shall be such that the light output specified in paragraph 1 or 2 above is emitted automatically whenever-

(a) the engine of the vehicle is running, or the key or devices which control the starting or stopping of the engine are in the normal position for driving the vehicle, and

(i) the obligatory position lamps, but not the headlamps, of the vehicle are switched on, or (ii) the obligatory position lamps are switched off."

Reply to
Dougal

Well - Ive got the day of to tinker :) But bec has to work til 5.

We will prolly leave about 6, so might not get there till 7-8 depending on traffic...

And our excitement will be intense.. ;)

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

So, Is it bolloxed or not!

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Where you coming from?

Reply to
Nige

Sure it's not just a PO mod - new headlight units with integral pilot lights, wired to come on with the sidelights? I did that to my 90 when I upgraded to halogen lights. If so, they'll only be little 5v things.

Reply to
Rich B

I live in Rushden, which is in northamptonshire.

Bit of a treck i know....

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

It's not that far, I have done 1200 miles on a sportsbike in the last week & I'm six foot three! You will have the luxury of seats & even windows!

You just can't please some folk.....

;)

Reply to
Nige

Strangely its 101 miles from my door to the camp site for the unofficial.

Does that mean i have to get a 101 next?

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

You boy, are you coming to the bash? I hope so......

Reply to
Nige

It's 73 from here. Looks a good old gaff too, Janes reading up on this 'ere cider centre & the oddball landlord.... Could be fun times ahead!

Reply to
Nige

was that from the 'yellow' campsite review site..

I read a few posts on there...

The brazier things look like a laf!

We just went to tesco's and spent a stupid amount of money on shit for the weekend. Are you gonna Froad on Sunday in the disco?

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Too right matey, nowt damaging, but i'll give it the beans....

Not sure about the site, Jane does all that kind of crap...

The last one was 130 miles away & i had the worst ear infection i could imagine, i felt like death for 3 weeks I can tell you. The only upshot was I actually got to use my machete!

Reply to
Nige

What time are you and Lee gonna get there?

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

I reckon we'll be there around 3pm, maybe 4pm if traffics bad. Once we get past M1/M62 junction it will be quiet.

Towing though, ugh.

Reply to
Nige

Provided that with the 'ignition' off only the conventional sidelights illuminate it sounds to be behaving as a dim-dip design was intended to.

Reply to
Dougal

On or around Thu, 24 May 2007 21:24:09 +0100, Mark Solesbury enlightened us thusly:

It's got dim-dip on it. 's due to the age of the motor.

try it with the ignition off - you should get "normal" sidelights, with ignition on and/or engine running you should get dim-dip.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

But the advantage of Dim Dip in normal conditions, i.e. non-foggy, is that it prevents cretins from driving on only parking lights. Not such a problem in something like an RRC with dedicated side light units, or the older Volvos with 25W day running units, but astoundingly dangerous in vehicles where the

Reply to
Richard

Nige uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Probably around 7pm ish dependant on traffic. Got 152 miles.

Now then off for some kip...darn night shifts!

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D