Defender 110 'crashing' noise over bumps...

Morning all,

I've got a big old list of things to fix/worry about on the Defender, but one which is puzzling me a bit at the moment is a loud sort-of crashing noise when I go over a bump (e.g. speed hump) at anything over a couple of miles an hour.

The noise could best be described as dropping a load of steel plate - a metallic crashing sound. It *seems* to be coming from both ends, but that's always a bit subjective I know. I don't know much about coil sprung landies, so was wondering if this could be a symptom of worn bushes? Or is it transmission related...

Any input appreciated!

Cheers,

AndyC.

Reply to
AndyC

No loose chequer plate or owt? Check the body mountings too. Most things usually knock though.

Reply to
Nige

First place I'd look wuld be the top of the rear shock abosrbers. When the bushes are really knackered the rubber can fall out leaving the loop on the top of the shock abosorber making contact with the stud. It sounds awful!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd