Strange wiper problem - Defender 110

Hello,

I have a really strange windscreen wiper problem on my Defender 110 (1992 - 200tdi).

Occasionaly and intermittently, the front wipers will just come on, they do it in only the following circumstances:-

1) I flash the main beam headlights. 2) I use the left hand indicator. 3) With headlights on, they occasionally start up.

has anyone had a similar problem? It doesn't happen all the time and sometimes goes for a while without doing it?

Could it be a bad earth in one of the above mentioned circuits?

All help gratefully received.

Matt

Reply to
MGreen

so MGreen was, like...

Almost certainly.

HTH

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Sorry about the other 2 replies - don't know what went wrong

I have exactly the same problem - good luck finding a bad earth - there are literally dozens throughout the vehicle!

I have concluded that it may in fact be a broken/bent/damaged contact in the light switch (i.e. indicator stalk), and will change the switch over when I get some time.

Reply to
Scott Forbes

Exactly the same as mine! The indicator switch is the culprit, it's falling to bits and causing some interesting earth loops. Replacing the switch will fix it.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I don't suppose you'd have one (indicator switch that is) to suit a 98 model

300Tdi Defender that you'd be prepared to ship to Australia by chance?

Scott Forbes

Reply to
Scott Forbes

Hi everybody,

thank you for the advice - I shall arrange a replacement indicator switch.

As someone mentioned, it is a strange contraption as it is shared with the main beam/flash and I found a disconnected wire in there stopped the whole headlamp setup working!

Thanks again. Matt

Reply to
MGreen

We've certainly got one........... just how much it would be to send to Oz I'll have to check on (if it can go letter post it's reasonable - about 2/3 weeks, any more and it gets dammed expensive with 10/12 weeks delivery!)

We don't officially export outside the EU, but Oz is ok for small stuff. We don't do the US (can't afford the insurance for their rather over-keen legal system...) or places with dodgy finacial reputations.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Thanks Richard - look forward to hearing back with a price.

Regards

Reply to
Scott Forbes

XPB101290 Def Horn/Indicator/Dip Switch from VA to Td5 £54.00 NO VAT

or Genuine Parts

£100 NO VAT (Seriously!)

We can do Air Mail to Oz up to 2Kg (which would be £13.50), the switch come in at 0.55Kg (with packaging) which would be £6.00).

So its £60.00 for the switch (or for lottery winners £106.00) to those in Oz.

Over 2Kg things get very slow and expensive (8 weeks delivery), so I won't bother going down that route.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd