Diesel Engine?

Have a series 3 with original diesel eng. which is burning a little oil (for some reason it stops smoking when going uphill?). Starts and runs fine but the smoke is the problem. Farm use only so not bothered about performance but any advice on alternative engine and what is needed to fit. TIA - Mick

Reply to
Mike

Could need a new set of rings, rebore and a head re-build - probably way cheaper than doing an engine transplant. Depending on where you are diesel engines are fairly easy to come by from LR dismantlers so it would be easy enough to do an out of frame rebuild and then slip the "new" engine in and sell off the old one.

Reply to
Roger Martin

I'm in the same position as you Mick. I think the smoking on the uphill is because the engine is under more load pulling itself up the hill and therefore more pressure is pushing more oil past the rings - have you noticed that the smoke is coming out of your oil filler pipe rather than the exhaust.

I've priced up the cost of rings etc from paddocks and they are:

Pistons about £15 each Rings about £3.50 per cylinder Youd need a head gasket set - not sure but about £15

Not a lot in total and much cheaper than a new engine.

A local garage said he'd do the rebore (at my home) for £7 per cylinder! I'd have to remove the sump - undo the big ends / shells and drop the pistons / conrods. Then take off the head.

Not too big a job really.

I'm just waiting to have a spare vehicle before I can do it.

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris

It's a job I've done.

The head is damn heavy. Do not try lifting it on or off without help.

It's worth taking the valves out and replacing the valve-stem oil seals too. Also, you have the chance to check the injectors. Be careful, the nozzles are slightly below the level of the head face.

Reply to
David G. Bell

little

I think Mick says that less oil is burnt under load, and this would be the normal position because there is no Vacuum to pull oil over.

Are you sure? I think they are aimed into a pre-chamber, commonly called a 'hot plug' on this engine. Or am I thinking of something else?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Could be just the valve stem seals - not expensive but a fair bit of work for the amateur. JD

Reply to
JD

I have an original 1993 Tdi ( I don't know what series that is), and it has always burnt oil. About 1 litre per 5000 km. After about 100 000 km it burnt 1/2 litre which it still does; and it seemed to be just run in then. It smokes (always did) on start up and heavy acceleration but otherwise runs really well. Was told by the national dealer that this is normal. As this is my first diesel I am not sure about the facts. Frank in Aussieland

Reply to
thesnowbaron