diesel into a petrol engine

today i managed to fill my tank with diesel. unfortunately its a petrol car.

i did not start it. had the car towed home and drained the tank i "think" the tank was completely empty but reckon there may have been up to a litre left in the bottom as it was difficult to get the car completely level

i have filled the tank back up and ran the car. it starts ok and runs, with the occasional puff of bluew smoke, and an occasional lack of pulling power for a few seconds.

is this just the surplus diesel running throught he system? will it stop. is it anything to worry about?

Reply to
mini mansell

Should be OK this way round. Petrol in a diesel car is to be avoided.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

hi

there seems to be at least one unfortunate person a week in this news group who does this. It sounds to me as if you have done the right thing though. From what I understand it is far, far worse to put petrol in a diesel than the other way r\ around.

I guess youre main problem now is what the hell to do with all that contaminated diesel you drained out. also I would think about replacing the fuel filters soond if I were you. What sort if car is it then ? It makes a big difference. ie 20 grands worth of motor or an old banger ? If its a new car I would drive it carefully for a few tank fulls.. check that nothing bad is about to happen etc.

PS. i have a diesel and a petrol car, I hope I never make this mistake !!

Simon

Reply to
SimonP

hi, the car is actually an old VW caravelle camper van. the contaminated fuel is going to go into an old citroen zx diesel a gallon at a time until its used up.

Reply to
mini mansell