DII Fan fell off!

DII TD5. Not long after leaving home there was a strange noise at one point a sort of lowish frequency whine didn't last long a didn't happen again. The Car didn't seem quite right driving, a little down in power, tick over marginally higher than normal and hunting just a little bit.

Then after parking up doing a bit of shoping, pulling away from some lights there was a couple of loud bangs and clonks and something thumped the underside of the bonnet enough to make it move. Engine still running, no loss of power, no weird noises. Pulled over half thinking that an animal had taken cover near the nice warm engine or somthing. Leave engine running, open bonnet no sign of animal, no sign of any damage, no sign of any leaks. Just about to give up looking when I notice the fan blades are not going round and are not lining up with the curve of the cowl. Switch off, reach in and fan is completely detached from water pump(?). It has unscrewed itself and fallen off, fortunately without puncturing the radiator.

Now what would cause that? Surely the direction of rotation is such that it tightens the thing up? I could turn the big mounting nut on the fan unit with fingers after I lifted it out and it was still warm so I don't think the viscous unit has failed but if it has seized it may explain the poor running. With no fan the car does seem to be running smoother and better, engine temp is not rising above normal.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Travelling over 30mph you dont need a fan there is enough air flow through the radiator to do its job..

Why the came loose..

Anyones guess,, but I'd be looking at a new new nut and/or some serious thread-locker goo..

Pannawonica ..

Reply to
Pannawonica

Aye, and it's quite cool here anyway, around 10C. I know from experience that at idle there is hardly enough waste heat to keep the heater warm...

Not really looked at it yet but I think the nut is part of the viscous unit. It's a closed nut that goes onto a threaded stub, rather than an open nut that traps what ever is being fixed IYSWIM.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Treat yourself to a kenlow for getting away with not needing a new rad..

Tim

Reply to
Tim Guy

Sounds like a Ford Falcon 6cyl unit..

Pannawonica ..

Reply to
Pannawonica

B-) I might. Need to find out if my existing viscous fan is knackered, if it is I don't expect they come cheap...

ATM I'm happy to leave the thing off. Winter is starting arrive (nearly a month late). Couple of sleety squalls today and it's 2.4C out there ATM.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice