Disco 1 cruise control

Anyone help?

My new (to me) 300Tdi Disco has a non-functioning cruise control. I knew about this at purchase, but thought it would be an easy fix after having the same problem with the RR. I have cut back the vacuum pipes where they join so there are no leaks, but no joy. The HBOL talks about a vacuum pump located near the jack/wheelchock in the front left of the engine bay. I can trace a vacuum pipe from the actuator on the right of the engine, across the bulkhead and forward to the front corner, but it's not attached to anything, and I can't find said vacuum pump. Having taken out the jack and chock, there is a small black device with thin plastic pipes and some wires leading to it, but nothing like the decription in HBOL. And a vacuum pipe just dangling in space with nothing obvious to connect to. Unfortunately, Mr Haynes does not give a diagram at this point, just some words about a pump on three rubber mountings, which ain't there.

I am obviously missing something (mentally or in terms of components), but what? If anyone has the workshop manual and could scan and send me the relevant pages I would be everlastingly grateful. I am due to drag a caravan around France in a few weeks, and a functioning CC would be a Godsend.

Thank you!

Reply to
Richard Brookman

The little black thing that is under the jack is in deed the vac pump and solenoid. It's mounted on rubber feet pushed through holes in the plate below it, they doo pull out and can be put back. It looks like if you reconnect the vac pipe your troubles will be over, unlike mine I think the ECU is duff.

Peter.

Reply to
news.tiscali.co.uk

so news.tiscali.co.uk was, like...

Aha. There is nothing *under* the jack but a panel with a round hole in it and a void underneath. The little black thing I mentioned is bolted (no rubber feet) to the *side* wall of the jack/chock space and has no obvious nozzle on it to connect to a vacuum pipe. When I get the workshop manual I will find out what it does. From what you say, it looks like the vac pump is missing, although having examined the area I can't for the life of me see where it would go. I'm a bit mystified at the mo. Where is the vac pump mounted in relation to the jack?

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Remove the jack and looking from the front of the car the vac pump is on the left just out of sight through the hole.

Peter.

Reply to
Pete S

I thought the vacume pump was on the left side of the engine when you are standing at the front. It has a largeish pipe that goes to the brake servo and a smaller feed pipe that goes to the egr valve under the wheel chock at the front right of the engine compartment.

Reply to
ntlworld

No The large vac pump on the LHS of the engine is just for the brakes and EGR. The cruise vac pump is a small electric pump that is switched on to increase speed and a solenoid valve to let out the vac to decrease speed. It's behind the RHS headlight under the jack through the round hole.

Peter.

Reply to
Pete S

so Pete S was, like...

Peter you are a very clever and useful person. My right leg and knee will thank you all the way to Loire Atlantique and back.

Previous owner had riveted a plate across the hole below the jack, and glued on a rubber pad for the jack to sit on. Such a neat job I thought it was original! When I drilled out the rivets and removed the plate, there was the vac pump hiding exactly where you said. Very fiddly to get it out and in again, but all it needed was l cm cutting off the split pipe, and the pipe reconnecting. It's now working perfectly.

Cheers Peter.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

so ntlworld was, like...

I think what you are describing is the CC actuator.

Reply to
Richard Brookman