Series 3 109 front axle half-shaft retaining collar, bearing and conical distance piece removal

Has anyone done this? My inner bearing member on the half shaft needs changing and the haynes manual sayes take it to a Land Rover dealer.

Ian McDonald

Reply to
Doorbell

Not such a big job, just a tip, have plenty gasket maker on hand and two 4lb hammers to release the tapered pin in the steering arm. If you need step by step, drop me a mail as I did job recently, took me two evenings in my garage. jamesw at pescanova dot co dot za. James

Reply to
jamsan

AT YOUR OWN RISK!

This collar is held in place by friction. In theory you should be able to heat it enough with a blowlamp and slide it off. If it's a bit stubborn *Health & Safety Warning* you can *very* carefully cut it most of the way though with an angle grinder - be very, very careful not to damage the shaft, your hands and/or your eyes. This has always done it for me. Putting the new on on also means heating it and then sliding it on. If it only goes part way don't try and force it or you will be up one minus paddle. Take it off and try again!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Thank you to all who replied.

Yesterday I attacked it with a hack saw and cut a slot in it then split it with a chisel with no damage to the shaft. A lot easier than I thought.

Reply to
Doorbell