Disco 1 rear bumper

Somehow, the nearside end capping piece on the rear bumper of my 'new' Disco1 seems to have a large dent in it and have been dislodged. I don't remember hitting anything, so am blaming the Tesco car park.

I've looked at the manuals I've downloaded and also in the Haynes one, without it becoming clear how to get this part off to try to bodge a repair with glue etc. Giving it a hefty waggle only seems to have made it a bit more skew-whiff, and I had to give up attempting to lie in the frost with a lamp trying to see what was what.

Is it easy to unclip one of these end-caps, or do I have to attempt to take the whole bumper off? Can anyone point me at a clear diagram?

Reply to
Bill

It's far easier to take the whole bumper off ... basically two bolts through a slot. Once it's off the end-caps, IIRC, are held on with self-tapping screws (naff) and if they're loosethey're unlikely to tighten up properly anyway as they mostly (Mine have three times) just been pulled out, creating a large hole in the sprue plastic of the end-cap. Araldite into the hole, then drilled 2mm dia when dry is a reasonable 'cure' short of new caps. There's a metal triangular plate that they screw through and this is also, invariably, bent a tad out of shape, so just twatting them while still attached doesn't bend it enough to put it back properly.

They can be done with the bumper in situ, but it requires a lot thinner arms with a lot more dexterity than I have. Whole bumper off is pretty easy actually ... getting it on again 'and lined up' is a tad more awkward, but still far easier than attempting the end caps on the vehicle. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx