Disco 3 - Response from 5th gear.

On or around Sat, 18 Dec 2004 11:58:13 +0000, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

I have to say that this tallies with what I've heard of the RA at times.

They also (in a pre-right-to-roam environment) are apparently very bad at sticking to where the path is, and prefer instead to wander all across the crops (grass is a crop too, for them as don't know). If a path goes across a field, it does so in a particular line and place - it's not or shouldn't be a right to wander all over the bleedin' place.

but they're just as bloody bas as us 4x4 types, if only 'cos there are about

50 times as many of 'em. Wonder how much CO2 and H20 vapour a typical rambler produces, and how many it takes to equal the emissions of a typical land rover?
Reply to
Austin Shackles

When off-roading the signs I see most often are not "Please drive with care" or "Please stick to sensible speeds", the sign I see most often is "Please keep your dogs on a leash" or similar, which is of course blithely ignored. I think that's mostly locals though.

I'll bet the figures are available, and I reckon there's hundreds of times more of them than us, huffing and panting all over the place the dirty environmentally unclean so-and-so's, it should be banned! ;0)

However there's so many of them that no politician can resist their demands so we're stuck with them it seems. Perhaps we should all move to one county and become a significant number of people... I vote for Dorset because I'm already here!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Bear in mind that it really is only "open country" and "common land" that has been opened up. This really means that it's only mountain, moor, heath and down that is available and not all of those areas will be made open. Note also access is *only* on foot.

The Countryside Agency Open Access FAQ is pretty good:

Section 1 for the land available and 6.6 for what you can't do... (confusingly under section 7 Users' rights and responsibilities) from the FAQ main index.

The mapping available from:

Is pretty good but note that the Secretary of State has yet to approve the maps/law so no one has the "Right to Roam".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Under the "right to roam" the only animal you can take with you is a dog and if there is any livestock present it has to be on lead no longer than 2m in length.

Of course with all these things how do you enforce it, though I guess the good old 12 bore talks very well if a dog starts to worry (as in attack or seriously distress) livestock...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Wonder what sort of cars the ramblers drive, how much pollution they cause driving out to do their bit of rambling etc. Perhaps they could car share?

Just the facts please...

wayne

That also often makes me wonder. Same like the people driving miles away from home with their dogs, to let them shit in front of my door. I hope others do the same aimed to their street :)

regards - Ralph

Reply to
Ralph A. Schmid, DK5RAS