Disco on fire!

Went on a guided tour of the NT's Clandon House first thing today. Yes I know that might sound a bit boring, but on parking and getting out of my car I noticed a Disco parked on it's own across the car park and what appeared to be light smoke wafting out from under the bonnet. Went to investigate, despite others in the party saying it's just steam, I knew it wasn't, something under the bonnet was smouldering, a burning plastic type smell. Reported it to one of the stewards and they called the Fire Brigade who duly arrived and had it open and the fire out in a flash. Funny thing was the owner wasn't on the staff or one of our party, this was prior the normal opening time so nobody else should have been around. Disco got carted off on a flat bed, I was told, and I didn't discover what had caught fire.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Let's hope it wasn't the normal operation of the auxiliary cabin heater which can be programmed by time and temperature.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

On or around Thu, 29 Sep 2005 22:25:54 +0100, "Huw" enlightened us thusly:

hehe. shouldn't make a burning plastic smell though, I wouldn't have thought.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles came up with the following;:

Unless it's on fire ...

;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Surely the header for this thread should have been 'Disco inferno'!

What an opourtunity missed ;-)

Reply to
SimonJ

"Huw" wrote after

No definitely something smouldering, smell was quite pungent. The Fire Brigade also though so from their reaction, they sprayed water (?) under the bonnet through the radiator, then opened the bonnet on the first catch and sprayed some more then opened it completely. Fully kitted up they were, breathing stuff on too.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Good one. ROFL.

Reply to
Frank Rizzo

Maybe the pungent exhaust smoke from the heater was mistaken for a 'plastic' smell. OTOH it could be on fire.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

A customer had one on the M4 in his 300TDi, the Fire Brigade said they'd never heard of an engine fire in one of them before.

Sadly I never got a chance to inspect it to see if the cause was determinable, so any speculation is welcome out of curiosity.

Reply to
Niamh Holding

Or at the very least, "Fire in the Disco!" (Electric 6) Come on people, be imaginative.

Reply to
David French