Discovery TD5 Vague Steering

The steering on my '03 Disco fells a little vague in the centre position, I can turn the wheel around 10-15 degrees without any effect on the direction. Is this normal for the car (just traded from a Freelander) or is it something that needs attention? Also the nearside headlight is misted up, the delaer says it is because it has been jet washed and will clear but I reckon it should be swapped under warranty, any advice appreciated.

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Cooke

Sorry I can't type, that should read feels a little vague !!!

Reply to
Andrew Cooke

*** No, & will likely be an MOT failure. A tiny bit of play is OK, I think it's up to an inch at the wheel.

or is it

I have had the same, run it for a week or so with the headlights on dipped beam while you drive or take a hairdryer to it. If it doesn't clear or re-mists there's a problem. It may be the seal between the glass and the metal or it may be a duff rubber seal if they have them.

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Not normal at all!

The MOT limit is 75mm free play on a system of this type (18mm for rack & pinion, 45mm if the rack & pinion has multiple links), BUT any play at all in the straight ahead = wear and needs sorting. maybe as simple as a quick steering box adjustment, but maybe something a little more sinister such as a dodgy steering u/j. Get it looked at, it ain't right.

Shouldn't mist in the first place, tell the dealer to get it sorted and don't take any bullshit from them. if it's misted, it's because something isn't sealing correctly in the first place. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Hmm

I Agree Take it Back & Get Tuff With the Dealer Lights Should Not Mist Up & The Power Steering Seems Dodgy (Not Good)

Regards

Jb

Reply to
Office

This is fairly common if the rubber seal at the back has been displaced or there is a crack in the glass. If the glass is damaged, take it back for a replacement. If all seems OK, and you can't be arsed to take it back, it is easy to take out the light unit, remove the bulb, and dry it out. But be warned - it can take ages. I had to do this on mine, and even with swabbing it out with kitchen towels on the end of a stick (good practice if you ever want to be a gynaecologist) and blowing a hair dryer in, it took about 3 goes before it could cool down without misting again. Took me the best part of a day before I was happy to put it back in. No problems since.

If it was as a result of a jet wash then, unless they were jet washing the inside of the engine bay, the water has come in from the front, which means the unit itself is leaking. Take it back.

HTH

DaveP

Reply to
Dave P