Disco Outer Sills & MOT

Hi

1) Do The Both Outer Sills Come Into MOT ?

Regards

Jb

Reply to
Office

Yes, corrosion within 30cm of a seat belt mounting point is a fail.

Reply to
SimonJ

In message , SimonJ writes

Yes also with in the same distance of a body mount.

Getting loads of rotten Discos at the moment.

Full sill replacement is expensive especially on the 3 doors versions.

Reply to
Marc Draper

Not in itself a fail, unless the total corrosion of all the body mounts leaves the body insecure on the chassis, which is unlikely.

Reply to
SimonJ

In message , SimonJ writes

Did one yesterday where the rear mountings had rusted away leaving the body to drop onto the chassis. That was on a K reg Disco.

Reply to
Marc Draper

But unless the body was likely to part from the chassis then it's still pass and advise.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

No I am pretty sure it is a fail. Will look it up in the book this afternoon.

Not many MOT testers pick it up.

Just like a body out rigger on a Defender being rotten.

Reply to
Marc Draper

For what it's worth I had a Rangie go through an MOT and still pass with 2 completely corroded rear mounting points - I actually queried the whole MOT and had a VOSA reinspection done.

The man from the ministry claimed that as the corrosion was on the body side of the rubbers and the chassis was sound that because it was 2 out of 8 mounting points it was still considered road safe.

Outriggers are part of the chassis though.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

On or around Thu, 4 Aug 2005 10:05:08 +0100, Marc Draper enlightened us thusly:

depends where it is in relation to structural points, I'd have thought. However, jumpseat belt anchorages may well be within 12" of same.

if it's part of the chassis, then it has to be sound, doesn't it? If it's part of the body, then it depends on the structural points as above. IIRC.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

No, its a pass and advise, unless the corrosion is such that the overall body security would be seriously reduced.

I think more would fail it unnecessarily than would miss it!

Again, in itself not a fail.

Reply to
SimonJ

Same rules apply to body and chassis.