Disco startup hammering

Hi all,

My Discovery 300Tdi occassionally misbehaves on starting. The engine starts as readily as normal, but makes a loud hammering like a road drill - at something that sounds close to tickover speed, just louder - until a blip on the throttle when it settles down and the noisyness is gone.

It's happened three times in about 5000 miles / 3 months, and only on starting. The timing belt was replaced 4000 miles ago.

Anybody got any ideas what this "sticking" may be?

:) K

Reply to
Kieran Turner

I had this last year - problem turned out to be the serpentine drive belt.

Happened the first time after a week's holiday, started up the disco and thought something very serious had gone wrong! But it went away once warmed up. Not knowing what the noise was and being far away from my LR guru, I phoned him and was advised to remove the drive belt to eliminate water pump, tensioner, alternator etc from the list of suspects. This done, engine purred. None of the ancillaries showed any signs of play or noise when rotated by hand, so belt back on. Noise returned.

Looking closely at what was going on you could see the belt lifting off the pulley by a fraction and banging back down, making a very metallic and mechanically terminal sounding noise. It would seem that on cooler nights this belt (which was new) was shaping itself to the pulleys. I replaced it with another new belt and the problem has not re-occurred.

So I would suggest that next time it happens, switch off, remove the belt then start up and see if the noise has gone. Or just replace the belt, particularly as it was changed (presumably when the timing belt was done) before the noise started.

HTH, Chas

Reply to
Chas