Disco suspension

Has anyone had a problem fitting spring isolators to an early disco 1 I know they are std on the later 300tdi. Derek

Reply to
Derek

On or around Thu, 21 Sep 2006 22:59:14 GMT, "Derek" enlightened us thusly:

WTF?

I assume a rubberoid thing twixt spring and mounting?

don't see why they wouldn't fit, the springs are all the same size on RR classics, discos, 90s and 110s, with the excepetion of the 110 rears.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Possibly the point is that 200 & 300Tdi Discovery's have rather different length springs - possibly to accomodate the isolators.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

thats the idea Richard I would like a little more height at the back 1cm thickness was suggested that in my book translates to about 2cm at the wheel arch that sound about right ? Derek

Reply to
Derek

Interesting. My 300 Tdi ES has a lower ride height measured at the roof than the 200. The 200 had new springs, does this mean the 300 springs are shagged?

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

The 1cm bit is abut right, but it will only llift the body by the same amount.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Trying not to sound glib - no. They just have different ride heights, one of the many subtle changes between 200 & 300Tdi models.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Phew. New springs not needed just yet then! Fitted the new windscreen wiper motor tonight in about an hour, all is well now although just for information the connector plug was different to the original. Soon snipped it off and connected the old one via con blocks though. Nice quiet motor too.

Don't think I'll do the heater matrix when it arrives, did one on a Cavalier once and it was a pig. The boys in overalls can do that one!

Thanks again for a speedy service Richard. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

I don't want to worry you unduely but would you like me to look at RAVE to see how long a job it is?

Derek mind like a rat trap - full of dead rodents

Reply to
Derek

On or around Sat, 23 Sep 2006 09:25:40 +0100, beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

of course, it might have shagged springs as well... I'd noticed that 300s were lower than 200s as well.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yes please Derek, might have a crack at it meself if it's not too tricky. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Oh thanks Austin.......

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

On or around Mon, 25 Sep 2006 20:12:11 +0100, "TonyB" enlightened us thusly:

I daresay the heights are around somewhere...

the main judgement of knackered springs is feel on the road and whether it looks lower at one end or one side or one corner, when unladen.

shagged springs lack travel and feel sort of "dead" on the road. If it sits level and drives OK, I'd leave it well alone.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Seems to drive very well, cornering and braking are excellent which I put down to the wide tyres. Which reminds me, time for a couple of new fronts for the winter.... TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Or check the state of the bump rubbers. If there is evidence of regular contact the springs and/or shockers are past it. Check also that the bump rubber clearance is fairly equal on both sides. I don't have any Disco-specific figures but on a RRC expect about 2 inches on the front and 2.5 inches on the rear (very roughly, I'm not going out to measure).

Reply to
Dougal

That was more difficult than I thought I am getting overwhelmed by the amount of info I have stored the US RAVE oddly doesn't give job times but the olderUK version reckons on 3.7 hrs to replace a Matrix about the same as the movie (lol) It would take me nearly that long to find the right tools- must get on with cleaning out the garage

Derek

Reply to
Derek

Thanks Derek, one for garage this one. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB