Discovery 1 3.9 1998

Hi,

Just bought one and all's good but running a little lumpy, revs and pulls fine. Took the plugs out after a reasonable run, all 8 look quite sooty. After looking around, seems like the air flow meter, fuel pressure regulator, and coolant temp sensor are the most common problems when it looks like it's running too rich. Anything else obvious? Any good way to narrow the possibilities down?

Also, I did some basic diagnostics by unplugging the airflow meter and the temp sensor. Nothing seems to change much! Also, no warning light on the dash. The engine warning light (orange) seems to blink briefly when I turn the ignition on, but I can't get it to come on by unplugging items mentioned? Should raise a fault?

So, I moved onto the ODB connector. I have a Maxscan GS500, which has worked fine in many cars, but it won't link on the Land Rover. I've seen some suggestions that the Disco 1 is not fully ODB 2 compliant and some that it is.

Any useful comments about any of this would be most welcome.

Thanks, Ian

Reply to
IB