The saga continues...

'96 D1 V8i cutting out when driving/idling

It is better since the new fuel pump relay and inertia switches were fitted but it still cut out a couple of times when driving (the temporary feed off the side lights saved the day). I am really baffled now. Anyone know what controls the fuel pump relay, is it just a straight forward ignition feed or is it controlled by the ECU? I am suspecting the latter as the fuel pump seems to run initially when ignition on as if 'priming' then stops, assume it runs again once engine fires.

If it is ECU controlled then I suppose this bit might be faulty but I was wondering if the ignition switch could be faulty as I know they can wear on these cars, (if the fuel pump feed has it's own supply from the ignition switch that is).

Reply to
Andy

Nightmare!

You got a manual?

If you have drop it round, i'll tell you exactly where it's fed fron, which is the likely source of your problem old lad.

Reply to
Nige

Yeh got a manual (wouldn't have got this far without!!), it says the relay is controlled by the 'engine control load relay' whatever the hell that is but that is switched by the ignition switch.

Reply to
Andy

Lesson learned - there is more than one type of 5 pin 30A relay and I fitted the wrong one, result being a short that flattened the battery.

Now all sorted and car behaving :-)

Reply to
Andy