discovery 300tdi help please

Hi, I collected my new to me 96 300tdi on Sat, generally very pleased with it so far, except for finding last night that the front right hub is hanging on by a thread... several of the bolts holding the swivel ball to the axle casing are well loose so I can see daylight between the 2, bit scary to find after driving 250miles home But 3 questions. When I turn the key until all dash lights and the pre-heaters come on there is a chattering noise from under the bonnet, coming from the inj pump area, as far as I can tell the noise continues even after the engine is started. Is this normal?? (this is the first vaguely modern LR I've had). It's not very loud, a bit like a relay chattering.

2ndly the alloy wheels have thin covers over the wheel nuts, how the ? *@ do you get these covers off? The ones on the locking nut come off easily, but I can't shift any of the others, they are loose, but just won't slide off. I've got to fit a towbar, does anyone know if there should be a terminal block anywhere ready for the trailer socket?

Thanks alot, Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

The covers don't come off :)

Reply to
Neil

Oh, that explains it then!! :-) as they seem to be so thin, I assumed they wouldn't survive the stresses. Thanks for the fast reply.

Reply to
Andrew T.

There's a connector for a pre-wired plug and trailer socket hidden up behind the offsdie rear light cluster. You can get to it from underneath. You need to buy the 'proper' cable/connector ... like this one ...

or

Paul - xxx

Hi Paul, Thanks for that, I'll hunt for it at lunchtime, I was hoping there was one! You seem to have the same model year as me.. can you throw any light on the strange noise I'm hearing under the bonnet? that's worrying me the most at the moment, but having said that it brought me 250miles home without missing a beat, so maybe it's normal, but doesn't sound right to me. I thought it might be the fuel cut off solenoid, but I disconnected that and the noise continued. Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

Well that depends... Ones with dimples do come off as they are covers for locking wheel nuts, if 300tdi's are that sophisticated... B-)

The wheel brace kit should have a plastic cylinder puller thing that you slip over the cover and pull it off and of course the locking wheel nut "key" adapter. DO NOT slip the puller over a cover that doesn't have dimple.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The covers over the locking nuts come off easily, and on mine they easily rotate so can be identified instantly, I haven't found the wheel brace kit yet.... may not exist anymore. I do have the locking wheel nut key thing though thank goodness.

Reply to
Andrew T.

In short they don't come off! I made that mistake, they do come off quite easily with yer Dremmel, but then they don't go back on very well. I replaced mine with locking nut covers, which look OK. Wheel nut wrenches go over the shiny covers. 27mm I think.

Reply to
GbH

Mine was in the bag with the roof bars, stowed under the back seats.

Reply to
GbH

Could be the 'electronic' control on the injection pump, mine has wee rattle to itself before it starts, might still rattle once its going but I can't hear damn all once it's fired up.

Reply to
GbH

Yes, that's what I thought, it does seem to be coming from the box attached to the inj pump with many wires going into it, but not so easy to be sure where it's coming from, it's very good to hear that yours also rattles. I only heard it when I had the bonnet open for something else and then turned the key to test the elec window I was fixing. You'd never hear it from inside with the door shut etc. Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

Hi Neil,

Sorry for using THIS channel, but I am trying to reach Richard, who lives in Hungary and just left for England. If you are the right person - I mean his son - please, let me know, 'cause I would like to ask you to forward may message to him.

Thank you, Zoltan from Hungary

--------------000407070209

Reply to
geeza

Hi Neil, I am trying to use most possible channels in this site to reach you. I am trying to reach Richard Browne, who lives in Hungary and just left for England. If you are the right person - I mean his son - please, let me know, 'cause I would like to ask you to forward may message to him.

Thank you, Zoltan from Hungary snipped-for-privacy@hungarnet.hu

Reply to
geeza

Are you on crack?