Gearbox bearings

Hi

I've bought SKF bearings for my IIA suffix E gearbox rebuild due to the extortionate price of genuine ones. I bought a sealed 6307 C3 bearing for the rear mainshaft as it should apparently be better at stopping oil migration than the oil seal that goes behind it. Several issues have been raised and I'd like anyones thoughts on them.

Oil seal may not be lubricated since the bearing should not allow oil through from the gearbox. Should I omit the oil seal due to this?

The bearing may not be lubricated/cooled sufficiently since it comes packed with grease which should serve for the life of the bearing. If I'm reading the tables on the SKF site properly the bearing should be able to run at 4000RPM/100C for over 10 years non-stop, does this sound correct?

Thanks

Reply to
Daniel Collins

Isn't that rear Mainshaft bearing seal visible from inside the transfer box? Only ask as I seem to remember the trick of Series box's was to empty the main into the transfer box via that "seal"...

If so, I guess (and I am guessing) that seal might see some lube from the X-fer box, so may even be better fitted the "wrong way round" as it were.

Anyone else comment?

Dave B.

Reply to
G8KBV

Don't omit the 236305 oil seal from behind the mainshaft centre bearing, as Dave says it is lubricated from the transfer case oil. The seals fitted to the mainshaft centre bearing that you have will be lubricated by the grease in the bearing as well as any oil coming through the front seal. That will ensure there is no oil migration from case to case as this does happen, usually if the rear mainshaft nut is not tightened properly as the original seal runs on a loose sleeve. It will not do any harm to fit this bearing with the double seals. I can't see how you say the bearing prices are 'extortionate' as the L/R 1645 (6307) is only priced at less than £11.00 and the only expensive one is the RTC1412 (layshaft rear).

Reply to
Oily

The rear mainshaft and front layshaft bearings are priced sanely, however the input pinion and rear layshaft bearings were both extortionate (at least where I looked). So I ordered all the bearings together from a bearing shop, at lower prices than where I checked.

Thanks for confirming the oil seal will be ok, I wasn't sure if the oil thrower would impede oil reaching it :)

Reply to
Daniel Collins

Hence the need for the oil seal, even though there is the thrower. I must apologise for not getting back to you on the bits, I completely forgot, sorry.

Reply to
Oily