Discreet winch mount

Has anyone any experience of using a discreet winch mount on a Disco? From the pictures I have seen of it fitted it looks really tidy but two questions,

  1. How do you get to the freespool lever?
  2. How can you tell you are winding the rope in evenly?

Perhaps I am being dull but if the winch is behind the bumper/valance I can't see you can?

Reply to
Andy

Thought as much, have just ordered the Warn kit, is it easy to fit?

Reply to
Andy

Andy and Dad Hi,

Have you seen the way Husky winches (and later Warn ones) were fitted on Camel Trophy specs Discos? This is a very convenient and extremely easy to access location. You remove the center part of the front bumper (the part immediately in front of the radiator), keep the two sides and attach the winch mount on the existing chassis outriggers right next to the left and right bumper sides mounting brackets. The mount is also attached to the chassis by two additional brackets that are held in place by bolts, nuts and spacers.

The only drawback is that this mount is no longer made in the UK but I can have it made under order here in Greece. Have done so for other friends who have decided to fit a decent winch on the decent location on their Disco while not further increasing the weight on the front side of the car (something that heavy duty bumpers definately do)

If you need any photos of this winch mount as fitted on a standard specs Discovery Mpi and another Discovery 300Tdi (or my camels) please let me know.

Take care Pantelis

P.S. this winch mount was made by Superwinch and Safety Devices and was also sold through David Bowyer. I have checked in the past for available stock but none had any. But who knows they may have re-introduced it or have made another batch. Definately worths asking for it.

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos