Disko 200Tdi

Does anyone know how the main, pulley driven fan on the 1993 Disco 200tdi should behave? With a hot engine the fan still only idles or spins along and can be stopped easily with the hand. It behaves similarly when cold. Is there something wrong with the clutch circuit in the hub of the fan. I thought when the engine is hot that the fan is locked on. The LR workshop manual does not describe the subject at all. Thanks for any clues. Frank

Reply to
thesnowbaron

On or around Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:06:55 +1100, "thesnowbaron" enlightened us thusly:

that's correct unless it still does that with the engine well above normal temperature, when it should start to spin more. If the engine's overheating, then I suggest the it might need replacing as the viscous thing is probably buggered. Normally, they spin fast for the first minute or so and then slow down, and only speed up again if it gets too hot. If it spins very freely, when stone cold (spin it with the engine stopped) then it's probably dud - my experience of ones that work is that initially it's fairly stiff but it then frees off. On my V8 you can hear it doing so - pull off up the road with the engine cold and the fan makes a lot of noise, by the time I've gone about 300 yards, you hear it spin down. Never yet found out if this one spins up again when overheated, 'cos it hasn't.

Reply to
Austin Shackles