200Tdi Overheating

I have a 1990 110 Defender County, now fitted with a Defender 200TDi.

I have been concerned over the temperature for a while, but whilst it showed very hot, it wasn't losing water or steaming from the cap....until this afternoon when after a 90 minute run down the M5/M4 and when I came off at the Bath junction I had a sauna under the bonnet.

It looks like it just got too hot, I am sure there is not a head problem. I am also reasonably sure that the problem is the thermostatic fan. Whilst waiting for the engine to cool, the fan spun freely. I topped up the water and took it gently the rest of the way home. The temperature had risen again by the time I had parked up, but the fan was still loose!

That seems reasonably convincing, but how do I confirm it? Also, does anybody have a special spanner that I could borrow, or are they available at reasonable (= sensible!) cost?

Cheers

Peter (Wiltshire)

Reply to
puffernutter

You're a bit far away to borrow mine but don't forget it's a left hand thread when you get one.

Oily

Reply to
Oily

Got a Cromwell Tools branch near you?

Don't know the size that you need but they've 32 and 36mm A/F versions:

Dougal

I'd replace the rad cap and the thermostat before anything else. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Perhaps I should have qualified that statement - the fan will tighten up if the water temp gets too high at the fan housing. If the rad cap has failed there will be no pressure bulid up, just escaping steam. The water temp at the fan will not get high enough to operate the fan. However, I don't think that would cause the temp guage to go up.

Similarly if the stat fails to open the temp will go up in the head circuit only, hence the high temp on the gauge, but not at the fan.

Those fan units are so reliable I'd seek a cheaper and easier solution first.

But what do I know?

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Tony,

You know more than I, and I will look at these items.

However I have a fan unit from the old 2.5TD (and I assume they are the same on the 200TDi) and at "room temperature" (for want of a better phrase) the 200TDi one is very loose and "floppy" on the bearings and on the one from the 2.5TD there is a noticeable resistance. This is why I suspect the fan unit.

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

At room temp and having sat a while the fan unit should have a fair bit of resistance - it frees up when the engine is started, hence the roar of the fan for the first 30 seconds from a cold start.

It sounds like your suspicions are correct.

Reply to
EMB

Yup in Bristol and walking distance from the station!

I'll go and measure my nuts!

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

My 200Tdi one was loose and floppy too, I don't know if

2.5TD ones are supposed to be stiffer at room temp I'm afraid. Certainly my 200 had a huge rad and even towing a 2.5 ton boat on a four wheel trailer from Portsmouth to Norfolk didn't move the temp gauge at all. TonyB
Reply to
TonyB