200tdi or 300td1

My (90 Defender R-reg) Landy was written off in a head on

Limited insurance money to buy a new one and looking at a nice 200 tdi a couple of years younger but worried about the possible difference in engine

Advice please - some seem to think the 200tdi was in fact better than the

300tdi
Reply to
Julian Pollard

I think there's little in it. The 300 can suffer water leaks from the "P" gasket, but is not dificult to spot the signs, so a good bargening point. You can though change the timing belt without breaking the water jacket. Either engine, get invoices or other proof that shows when the belt was last changed. If no evidence, plan on getting it changed ASAP if you go with it.

They both will suffer if badly overheated, with failing head gaskets and warped heads. (The later 300 head will not work on the 200 block, I'm told. Pitty...) Neither of them (nor any engine) shold use water "normaly".

The 200's do "Puff" (some Beltch!) a black cloud when first started, especialy when cold, any blue or white smoke, walk away... Likewise any with obviously lumpy iddling, especialy when warm... Just do the usual checks, rocker cover oil cap off, no plume of smoke etc...

Some early 300's had a timing belt idler alignment problem, but all those "Should" have been modified by now. Look for a splash of yellow paint on the timing chest casting, though anyone can put that on. Else, it's examine the belt for edge wear when you change it. Any fraying, and unless you can find a wobbly idler pulley, it will probably need a new front casting as part of a mod kit. Not dificult, but hassle all round.

Performance/economy wise, much of a muchness 200 vs 300. They are in essance the same engine, with just some differences in the collection of extras, and how they are are bolted on, to make them universal for both the Disco/Rangie and Defender vehicle lines. Easier and lower cost of production for LR.

A good 200 is a brilliant lump, a bad 300 is a Dog. The same can be said the other way round too. (And for other engines!)

Some say the 200 is easier to "tune", some say the 300 is. (The injection pump is very much the same internaly.) My local diesel specialest preffers the 200, he says they are much more forgiving, there again, he doesnt get on with the electrickery that more recent vehicles have.

Many of the later 300's had the extra complexity of EDC and the infamous EGR valve. I've not (yet) seen a 200 with EGR, but I bet there are a few about. I think the later 300 equipped vehicles had a bit more room to play with, if you go with bigger intercoolers etc.. It's also worth with a second hand TDi, removing and cleaning out the intercooler. In the process, checking the air hoses for internal colapse etc.

The dual V belts on the 200, one for the PAS and water pump, the other for the Alternator can be a bit of a pain to keep right, but you can shim the alternator mounts and pulley so as not to wear out the small belt quite as fast if needed, there again, if the serpentine on a 300 goes, you cant easily "bodge" it to keep the water pump turning and get home (with ever darkening lights, and heavy steering!)

The 200 is often thought to be noisier than the 300, that's as maybe, they're all somewhat different in character by now. In any case, if needed extra sound deadening can be fitted, or turn the stereo up a notch or three!

A good service of any "new to you" second hand car, will be most beneficial, and a good check over of the thing too.

Have Fun.

Dave B.

Ex Disco 200TDi in a 109 on coils.

Reply to