Don't you just love it when...

...you've had everything apart and it starts first time?

After getting well fed up with lots of little problems with the S2a (several recent threads - sorry to go on) I bit the bullet and did the lot. The vehicle now has

- Turner Stage 1 unleaded head

- New Zenith carb from Burlen

- New water pump, thermostat and all hoses

- New coil

- Decoked and polished pistons

- Cooling system flushed, back-flushed, side-flushed and every kind of flushed

- All removed parts cleaned, polished, or painted as appropriate

- Plus points, timing and tappets set with surgical accuracy (!)

All back together this afternoon. Turned it over with the coil disconnected to restore the oil pressure, then reconnected coil, held breath and

*con-tact*.....

Started first turn of the key, and settled immediately to a steady idle. Now sounds like a sewing machine. No oily smoke from the exhaust, no madly variable idling, several rattles and squeaks strangely vanished.

I've only taken it for a quick spin round the lanes, so I can't say too much about the Turner head, except that it seems to take hills much more easily, and altogether feels like a bigger engine.

Another bonus - Mrs B has now completed Land Rover Mechanics 101 and is fully trained in Tappet Adjustment, Why That Thing Needs Oil, and How Not To Put Things In Upside Down. She sat in the cab to start it, and the smile on her face was worth a million.

Next chapter - how fitting parabolics mean you won't need that sports bra.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

You could just try losing some weight?

Sorry, couldn't resist..

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Don't you just love it when you can afford to do all that.

I am having to keep everything down to necessary maintanance at the moment :(

Reply to
Larry

so Larry was, like...

Well, yes, actually.

Having spent 20+ years keeping a variety of old bangers on the road on minimal (or no) maintenance, don't begrudge me my little indulgence of a couple of hundred keeping a classic LR running sweet. There are plenty of Disco 3 and RR3 owners around to be sarcastic about, if you must.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

LOL :-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Join the club. I'd love to get my head re-done by Automotive Comp and fit a SU carb, but I can barely afford to put petrol in the bloody thing at the moment, let alone buy the clutch it needs.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Turning out to be an expensive year I expect, though :-)

Ah yes, that Neil and his 60K runaround... ;-)

Reply to
Mother

so Mother"

Reply to