New Machine - Much Better - But It Shakes

Hi Group,

Please be patient:

I have collected my new addition, its a 1975 Series 3 SWB, 2.25 petrol, galvanised chassis (2yrs old) with overdrive, high back seats, tropical roof, fully carpeted, dog guard, excellent tyres, forward facing rear seats that fold up all for £400 .(and it passed an HPI check!). Off an old Granddad whose stopped towing his caravan now.

So I am very happy knowing the chassis alone is worth the money - the overdrive is a bonus.

Now the confusing part (for me) It drives so much better than my Series 2a (bearing in mind I've just fitted parabolics to the S2) the gearbox is smoother, there seems to be much less resistance in the whole drive train, its better on petrol etc etc. Except for one thing, it vibrates and shakes like hell when it reaches 48mph until 60mph - above this it drops a little (the old girl did 75mph on the A1 last night), seems to be from the front, could this be a wheel bearing or something more serious - propshafts? diffs etc? any advice would be appreciated. How do I trace this?

Now the real problem,

The bulk head is not that clever, but, do I swap bulkheads on the S2 to S3 along with door hinges and number plates - giving me a mint S2a? Is this allowed or highly illegal - would I still have the points required for Historic class or am I being too simplistic?

Then I could sell some bits off the old S2 (including overdrive which ive just bought!), and still have a machine to trial at local 4wd club.

Any guidance or experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks

Roger

Reply to
Rog

Can you post a link to some pictures of the rear seats as this is what I want to do to mine. Trackers appear to sell seats that fold up onto the wheel arches. Are these what you have? Thanks, JonW

Reply to
Jon

I believe bulkhead is irrelevant under the points system. Be aware that S2 and S3 bulkheads are not interchangeable without a few mods - windscreen and wipers I think are the main differences, but I'm talking off the top of my head there.

Swapping number plates IS highly illegal - the vehicle plates must match the chassis plates. I'd guess the plod could happily confiscate the vehicle as a ringer, your insurance would probably be invalid etc etc etc.

I'd check out your 2A - are you sure your handbrake isn't binding, your brakes aren't binding etc?

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Hi Jon,

Yes I will forward a link to some photos, but wont be until the weekend/Monday Im afraid, not sure about trackers but they are the same as one companies (whos name evades me) that have a two page spread in LRO, they advertise seats, cubby boxes, re-trimming etc.

Rgds

Rog

Reply to
Rog

Thanks Tim,

Im sure the wheels are not binding, but not sure about handbrake - will check.

Reply to
Rog

I may be way off but it sounds to me as if the front wheels need balancing or maybe a bad tyre on there. At least it is any easy one to check. Dave

1986 V8 90
Dave

I'd be interested in the piccys too. I was hoping there were going to be exhibitors at the LRO show with folding seats so I could take a look at them.

Was Exmoor trim the people you were thinking of? They were at the show but I didn't see any of their folding seats there. I quite like the look of the high back folding seats in their adverts and was hoping to get to see them in the flesh so to speak.

Reply to
Simon Barr

Simon,

Emoor trim - thats the boys

Will post a new thread when links up (I've lent my camera to a friend for his holiday)

Rog

Reply to
Rog

Thats a good call - worth a shot at least.

Reply to
Rog

In article , snipped-for-privacy@removeraxel.co.uk (Rog) growled:

Could be as simple as a wheel needs balancing. Failing that it may be the wheel bearings need tightening (although not *too* much ;-)).

You've already changed the chassis so changing the bulkhead won't add any more points to your total. See

for the gory details. So, unless anything else has been changed it would still be a SIII of the same age according to the DVLA. If you start thinking about then swapping the number plates over you are into very dangerous territory indeed.

Seems a shame to scrap the S2. What about getting a new bulkhead for the SIII?

Reply to
Paul Oldham

I had a similar problem when i lived in Australia. I owned a Mk 1 Ford Transit van (for my sins..) (Lucy) which had a Ford fairlane 4.2 straight 6 in her. She ran me all over Oz and she had the very same symptoms.Between

60kph and 80kph she was a bag of Sh** but once past that speed she ran luvverly.Don't know why tho... Could it be that an unoriginal engine may not be suited exactly to the vehicle and one of the side effects is excessive shaking at certain speeds???
Reply to
Brevit

New bulkheads can be bought -much easier than a swap or the dodgy swapping of numberplates :-))

The Ser3 one has different bonnet mountings and I am not sure if it's a case of swapping hinge pins or what but, as they are, they do not match - nor will the door bottoms, hinge holes are in the right places but the bit that stops the door swinging right out to hit the wing is also different.

I have a mate after an overdrive if you're anywhere near Devon?

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme

On or around 11 Sep 2003 09:52:16 GMT, Simon Barr enlightened us thusly:

had some forward-facing foldups from BLRS, which do exactly what it says on the tin. can't fault 'em. The back folds down, then the whole seat folds up onto the wheelbox. It will, once folded, slide off it's hinges to order, without tools, so it can be removed altogether. when folded down, a lug prevents it from disengaging.

the only drawback I've found is that with 2 of 'em fitted, access is tricky, you have to get in with one seat folded, then fold it down behind you; there's only a small gap between the seats when both are in use.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around 11 Sep 2003 09:32:22 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Dave) enlightened us thusly:

I had a dodgy tyre on the 110 once, had a bulge int he middle of the tread. very odd symptoms.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

well if you got as jammy as that you have to expect some downside, try swivel preload.

Reply to
Warwick Barnes

I'll have a crack at the shakes issue. You need to take a bit of a methodocal approach to finding what is causing the old girl to make like a cocktail mixer. Get her up to the offending speeed and when she is shaking push in the clutch. If it doesn't stop then it is probably not engine related. If it does stop shaking check your engine and gearbox mounts. Next step is to put the front wheels on the back. If that cures it then rebalance the wheels and you should be right. The fault shouldn't be related to the drive train at the front as you are only in two wheel drive on the road and the front dif won't be turning - provided you haven't left the hubs locked in. More likely you have a dodgy wheel bearing/ball joints. Best of luck Chris M Wellington, NZ

Reply to
Chris

Hi Graeme,

Thanks for Comments

The overdrive is/will be, but I live in North Nottinghamshire (a distance I know is Reading is 160 miles from my house).

Rgds

Roger

Reply to
Rog

In article , Austin Shackles writes

Happened to me too once (on a car though) The bulge was in the inside wall of a front tyre, so I'm grateful it shook - a blowout would have been somewhat unpleasant.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Thanks Chris,

have posted a new thread called "prop shaft"

Reply to
Rog

That's how the Exmoor trim ones appear to work too from what I can tell. What did you do for seat belts? Exmoor trim sell the seats with belts.

Do BLRS have a website, can't seem to find one?

Thats not a problem as they wouldn't get much use. They would be for the kids to sit in and when we go out as a family we mainly use the Astra.

Ta.

Reply to
Simon Barr