Dumb question: R380 gearbox oil filler plug?

Help! What size is it?

The HBOL that I have just shows a driver inserted into it, and I need to do an oil check!!!

Cheers,

S.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

AFAIR it's a Torx bit and quite a big one.

Reply to
Oily

Yes it is a dumb question! Get off your ****, get underneath and have a look.

Reply to
Dougal

In article , Oily writes

I rang MJ Fews: it's a T55 apparently.

So off I went and bought one, only to discover I *actually* have the old-style square-headed plug (and the old gearbox), and that's seized in solidly (gotta love salted roads!). I've just snapped a (cheap) spanner on it, so it's been sprayed with WD40 and we'll have another go later...

... deep joy.

Cheers,

S. (now worried about my sanity, never mind an oil-free gearbox!).

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Lesson learned?

Reply to
Dougal

What is it with you guys?

The 380 has a large Torx socket on the filler plug (turns out it's a T55). How anyone is supposed to find out what size it is, without a set of large Torx bits to test with, just by staring at it underneath the vehicle, I can't imagine. Nor can I imagine a tool shop letting me try lots until I find which one fits.

It's not getting under the vehicle that's the issue it's knowing what you're looking at.

But thanks for the help, all the same.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

I have an old ESE unidirectional ratchet with the square bar that pushes through to change the direction. With the bar removed it makes an ideal square 1/2" socket which doesn't break and makes removal a doddle. Britool torque wrenches have these and will also do the job.

Reply to
Oily

In article , Oily writes

Brilliant idea.

I have a small Norbar torque wrench that uses the same system, and I think my bigger Taiwanese one does too (doesn't get much use, so I can't remember!). It's too dark to see now, but I've mustered the troop for just after lunch tomorrow (it's far quicker when someone's passing you things!).

It was there in the back of my mind, somewhere, but wouldn't have surfaced, I'm sure. I've got the mental faculties of a lettuce leaf at the moment...

... thanks a million!

S.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Calipers inside opposite points? Then measure across those of a selection of bits?

Halfrauds where quite happy for me to take a 27mm socket out to check that it fitted my wheel nuts.

Surely you know what a torx head looks like?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Dimensions here:

Dougal

Surely it's a lot simpler to ask on a newsgroup on the off-chance that someone might know? I kind-of thought that's what newsgroups were all about, sharing knowledge and all that....

AC.

p.s. Your quoting has gone a bit wrong.

Reply to
Andrew Cleland

Now what would make you think that?

Reply to
Dougal

Apologies - I'd missed Dave's message, so was misreading your reply - my bad.

AC.

Reply to
Andrew Cleland