fitting an eberspacher heater in a 110Defender

I,ve recently purchased an old eberspacher heater and was wondering if there was acommon place to fit them into a 110 CSW. Or wether it was possible to stick it under the bonnett and attach it to your regular ducting. Does anybody have any info on this subject ?

Reply to
Anniebracken via CarKB.com

I've just bought one as well, so we can compare notes!

I was planning on fitting it under the drivers seat, I reckoned that "under bonnet" was too exposed.

Cheers

Peter (lr(at)puffer-nutter.co.uk)

Reply to
puffernutter

puffernutter uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Couldn't find the last thread.. any idea how many Watts the 24v system would pull?

Only ask as I strung up some christmas lamps yesterday 20m of them. The transformer was for 24v 42 watts. Made me think of your dilema. If the wattage was right nothing stopping you running such a transformer through a inverter off a 12v system. Long way about it but you could use the inverter for other uses in the warm weather. If you break down in a desert you could string out the christmas lamps as a mobile helipad marker.

:-)

Personally I'd build a box and mount it under the wing to the previous heater inlet if interior space is an issue.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On start up, about 12A (250W+!) probably due to the glowplug.

I wouldn't necessarily support that as I understand that the heat coming out the diesel heater (I can't spell ebar...) is much hotter than the heat you would find from the cars water (heater) system and may lead to damage (collapsing the heater pipes) to the existing system. (I'd thought of doing that as well!)

I suggest that you stick to the pipes supplied with the heater.

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Yeah that would make sense. I had thought originally that it maybe quiter under the bonnett (away from the cab)too as they tend to be a bit noisy

Reply to
Anniebracken via CarKB.com

Which direction would you have the hot air blasting from.?.. would make a cracking seat warmer

Reply to
Anniebracken via CarKB.com

It,s the 12volt one Ive got and apparantly it draws 20amps from the battery- I thought of outside mounting to keep the humming noise dampened as well as the space it would save.Then I suppose I would have more space to take me christmas tree to the dessert as well:)

Reply to
Anniebracken via CarKB.com

puffernutter uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Good point, it would obliterate the plastic pipes.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

If its anything like the 101 petrol one then its going to pump out a lot of heat which could melt anything too close to it. If you didnt have a station wagon i'd be putting it on the back of the bulkhead behind the seats and then putting some ducting on it to make it blow into the front cab between the front seats.

The way that the 101 is done the eber blows through a lot of piping and ducting (it goes though the inside of the ally box section that makes up the bulkhead). It still comes out hot.

You could just stick it in the back of the landy somewhere. Its still going to warm the whole interior up!

Reply to
Tom Woods

In article , Tom Woods writes

I was wondering about sticking one up under the bench seat LHS rear, where the filler pipe is on t'other side, with a right angled pipe to a vent at floor level. It makes all the piping very easy, although I'd have to construct some sort of mudguard to protect it.

Would it fit?

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

This is a 101 petrol eber:

you can just about see the seat cushion in the bottom of the pic which should give you an idea of the scale (101 seat cushions are the same size as series ones i think)

Reply to
Tom Woods

In article , Tom Woods writes

Thanks: looks like game on...

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Then you wouldn't need the Eberspacher, with all the heat given off by the inverter, then all the heat given off by the transformer!

Reply to
SimonJ

The manual (available from download from the website), just says keep it 2" away from anything that may be affected. I still reckon that the drivers seat box will be ideal. The hot air intake will be at the back of the in the rear footwell, the heat would come out next to my cubby box and heat the front area. I'd even leave the heating pipe "free" so that I could move it to point backward to warm the back of the car when we leave the dogs in there over a cold night. (Yeah, I know, I'm too soft with my hounds!)

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Points to consider: Heat output is high, keep outlets clear. Fit several outlets for better heat spread. Lag trunking with loft insulation and duct tape to avoid heat loss. Current draw is around 20 amps on startup, 3 or less when running. Protect unit from the elements. Mount in protected position. Ensure air inlets are not in airstream. Not designed for forced ventilation. Service annually. Peter

Reply to
Peter

All good stuff, I reckon that under the driver's seat will give me the protection it requires. My only concern might be blockage of the air inlet (in the rear footwell) I may look for a better place.

Spreading the heat around is good - do you know of a source of pipe and "Y"'s that don't cost the earth i.e. not necessarily Eberspacher, but equal in form, fit and function?

I've only found one so far (R Thursby) and a the ducting is around =A328/m, a single "Y" piece is =A335 and an outlet is =A320!

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

In article , puffernutter writes

I have some baked bean tins available for only £2 each - that's a mere £10/metre (even less per yard, but I understand we're supposedly metric now).

They can be flexibly combined in sets to provide different lengths, and for filling awkward distances I also have short adapters (part#: T-00-NA'Tuna') for a modest extra amount. Y fittings though will continue to cost about £35 eaxch, although discounts may be available when combined with substantial bean tin orders.

If you also require the beans, they are still available but will add to the postage cost, because of the extra packaging required.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

puffernutter muttered summat about:

know nothing about them, but did see this on ebay if it helps...

Item number: 4595772372

Reply to
Graham G

Thanks.

I'd seen that as well and been in touch this morning.

A far more reasonable price and a knowledgeable bloke at the other end.

He'll be having my business!

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Keep the combustion air inlet out of spray (salt doesn't do the innards any good!) Run it for 10 mins a week in summer

Reply to
SimonJ