ECU Resetting

Hello,

First off I would like to thank all on this group for thier wonderful information. It has made my first Rover experience very good, especially for troubleshooting. I had been stumped by my stalling and cut out problem since buying the truck a month ago. I had replace all I could think of, short of the fuel pump, with no improvement. I was getting ready to replace the pump when I read a post about the occasional ECU dry solder problem. I thought why not give it a try. So, I pull the ECU, open it up and re-solder the main transistor joints, although they did not look real bad. I had the the ECU out for about 45min. I reinstalled the ECU and the truck fired up, the check engine light was off, and I have not stalled in 3 days. Also the truck seems like a completely different vehicle. The power and acceleration is up dramatically and the fuel economy is also improved. So, the real question is- did I fix a dry solder joint or is this happy rezzurection from restting the ECU alone? (Starting a new fresh fresh fuel mapping from the factory default) I thought perhaps it could be from the reset. If so, I'm amazed. Even if I changed the correct part that was causing the fault would the ECU still behave as if I didn't unless it was reset? And therefore run the injectors the same (stall)? Fingers crossed that this fix holds.

thanks again,

joe myers

Reply to
joe myers

you don't say which ecu but some certainly have the ability to learn, I remember seeing an article or post on resetting and the drive/trip (about 20 min ISTR) you should do to reset it properly. did you get any diagnostics first, like P1176-9, I think these are the ones that deal with air/fuel mixture learnt offsets.

Reply to
Warwick Barnes

Do you recall where this was? I think I did mine no favours by reseting it them sitting traffic for 5 mornings.....:(

Neil

Reply to
<metalthrasher

Neil,

It is the fuel injection ECU under the passengers seat (USA). Keep in mind, my reset was accidental as I removed it to repair it. I drove it around the neighborhood for 20 min, the engine light didn't return, and it did not stall so I took it out to the freeway and ran it at

65mph for about 8-10 miles. It's been great so far. I am glad I took it out to the highway for awhile because if resetting it causes it to remap fuel and driving behavior, i'm glad I got that in. All purely accidental. Of course there is always the remote possibility that I actually repaired a dry joint in the ECU. I just can't give myself that much credit. One thing troubleshooting sure does is get you familiar with you vehicle very fast.

joe

Reply to
joe myers