EDC on 98 Disco Diesel Auto?

Someone must know.

I've been trying to connect to the ODBII on my Disco but the interface I've bought doesn't want to talk to it. Anyone about know whether it is a real ECU/OBD or is it a fake LandRover clone? I know it wasn't common for 300TDis to have the EDC until the very late ones, except for those on auto, mine's both late and auto. Your assistance would be most appreciated.

Geoff

Reply to
GbH

In message , GbH writes

The EDC is not well supported outside the landrover specific diagnostic systems

What problem do you have with the EDC? They are pretty reliable and the only faults I have come across have been down to people messing with the wiring.

Reply to
Marc Draper

Hi Geoff, a 98 Auto will certainly have EDC fitted. You can check quite simply - if there is a single wire going to No.4 injector (not the glow plug) then you have EDC.

EDC is generally very reliable. What symptoms are you having?

Reply to
SteveG

I'm pretty sure it has EDC but I haven't checked inj 4 yet, ought to do that now.

  1. I want to read the codes for the aircon because it's not working and I want to see if it thinks there's no gas.
  2. I want to up its oomph a bit, I'm considering an intercooler upgrade, I think the EDC will up the fueling in response to the cooler incoming air but I want to check the sensor is being observed before shelling out mega beer tokens, because if it looks like the EDC won't up the fuel I can't afford to do both an IC upgrade and a remap at this time, mind you if I can't connect I can't remap anyway!!
Reply to
GbH

I may be wrong but I don't think you can re-map or replace the Disco 1's chip. There used to be several places that advertised to do this but whenever I contacted them they admitted it couldn't be done. This was some years ago so maybe someone has come up with a solution. I'd be interested to know if they have :-)

Reply to
SteveG

That's not what I want to hear but I 've a sneaky suspicion you're right!

Reply to
GbH

The way to increase the performance on a 300 TDi is like this:

I am not sure how this will work with EDC though.

John

Reply to
dumelow

I wish! Paragraph 2 says it all for EDC. It don't work! That's why I'm asking about OBDIIing into it! I'd rather remap than rechip if at all possible.

Checked out inj. 4, it has the extra wire, so short of ripping the driver's footwell apart to check for presence of EDC module it is EDC!

Reply to
GbH

Remove the black rubber cover from the top of the engine. If there is a temperature sensor screwed into the top of the head then that would be enough confirmation for me that it's EDC.

The Land Rover European On-Board Diagnostics Workbook is included on the RAVE cd which you can download from

SteveG

Is it indeed? I'm afraid I am unable to find it on either of my own 2 Rave CDs which numbers differ from those on that site but seem, by the models therein, to be CD1 and CD3 nor on CD2 which I have downloaded thence.. Perhaps you could give me chapter and verse of where it is. Geoff

Reply to
GbH

It is in mine.

In the top level index under 'Technical Brochure/EOBD' - at least in the RRC/Disco 1/Freelander 1 disc.

Reply to
Dougal

So it is, thank you, now if I could only discover how to persuade the EDC to talk to my OBD interrogation equipment, I'd be getting somewhere. Seems somewhere it said it is ISO-9142 compliant which my kit is supposed to be able to read, so why won't it I wonder? I seem to have pins 5, 7, 15, and 16 present in the connector, also 4 which is gnd, which are right for ISO-9142. Something's not right in the state of Denmark? Someone's telling porkies somewhere!

Reply to
GbH

Ah but that would be too too easy see if this helps at all

far I have just found the Air suspension but then the other stuff must be out there mustn't it?Derek Cyber-Packrat for AFL

Reply to
Derek

Now that is really curious, the ISO number I was referencing is wrong, I now think it should be ISO 9141-2, not ISO 9142 as I suggested, ISO 9142 is somat on adhesives? Anyway quite apart from my rememberer not! The connections made to the OBDII? port in your reference do not appear to be in an ODBII connector, J1962M?.

1, 5, 11, 12 I don't doubt Mr Wilson did what he said but only pin 5 is present in my OBD connector and I'm pretty sure that's a ground! Check out
for a useful cable diagram.
Reply to
GbH

You will not get any codes for the aircon at all. You will need to resort to old fashioned diagnostics to sort the A/C system

The only link to the EDC is that the revs are bumped up when the A/C is switched on.

Reply to
Marc Draper

I don't know whether to be relieved by that or not!

Reply to
GbH

ISO 9141 has three parts -1, -2 and -3 (unsurprisingly).

SAE J1962 defines the functions/connections of the OBDII connector pins.

I can get you copies (pdf) of these if you're interested - just let me know where to send them.

Reply to
Dougal

>> so far I have just found the Air suspension but then the other stuff>>> must be out there mustn't it?>>> Derek

I'd be interested, certainly, do you have any URLs you could share, my return address is easily unmungeable.

Reply to
GbH

You'll have mail shortly

Reply to
Dougal

Thank you Sir, I have some reading to do!

Reply to
GbH