Eek! Help needed (newbie owner) Water pump, gearbox, engine!

Hi Folks!

Ok, my SIII ex army has a few problems, now i've had chance to look it over more.

there seems to be quite a leak from the water pump! the radiator was DRY (and i'd driven it for about 10mins!)

So, looks like I need a new pump, these are not expensive from what i've seen, but how much will it cost to change?

Or is it really something I can do myself? I don't have anywhere I can service it, so it would have to be done in a few hours. I'm handy with a screwdriver, but this seems daunting? I've read the Hanynes manual, talks about draining the system (well its already drained!) and then removing the radiator! Can this be done by one person?

Next! there is a pretty good oil leak from what seems to be the gearbox,,,, grr, it does sound like a bucket of bolts when the engine is running... suggestions?

Lastly I checked the plugs 1-3 are ok, but 4 (near the bulkhead) was covered in oil and needed a good clean.

I expect this means there is some slack in the cylinder? This will be expensive to fix no? Anything I can do to find out what is causing this?

Due to the waterpump issue I can't drive it anywhere to be fixed and the cost of trailering it somewhere is out of the question.

So any suggestion would be appricated.

On a different note, it being ex army there are a few bits that i can identify. One is a box behind the passenger seat, (not behind as in not visable, more on the seat back, it has wires leading to it to and two large battery like terminals and the two leads that look like they would connect to a battery? any clue to what this was for?

Thanks.

Reply to
beenie

Ahh....Mr londonlandy.

Do it yourself, it's not overly hard. IIRC you won't need to take the radiator out. Should take you a couple of hours or so.

Reply to
EMB

With it being ex-military, you will almost certainly have the military- spec pump, which has a different number of mounting bolts.

I think you already said it had 24v electrics? This is known as an FFR vehicle -- Fitted For Radio -- and part of the system is provision for a second set of batteries to power the radio gear. I think the whole system had some sort of split-charge provision so that running the radio gear didn't discharge the vehicle battery.

I only have a 12v lightweight myself, but the manual I have does also describe the basics of the FFR rig, and apart from ensuring cables are safely insulated, and terminal posts covered, I'd be inclined to leave the radio-battery side alone. It could be complicated.

Reply to
David G. Bell

rats!

nowhere is safe on the net!

;-)

or, its such a small digital world!

cool, i will endeavor to take of the rad and see what i can do!

Reply to
beenie

thanks for the advice, i'm current attempting to get the water pump off... no easy when you don't have a clue!

should the water that came out of the rad be chocolate brown?

also there is a LOT of oil in the air filter / pipework

this is going to be a long journey!

Reply to
beenie

No.

It suggests that it was short of anti-freeze, the modern types have corrosion inhibitors. It's worth flushing the system.

Oil-bath air filter, it's a quite good system. It could have been over- filled.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Not really, but it is quite usual, and nothing to be alarmed about. Worth draining it and replacing with good quality antifreeze.

The oil bath aircleaner is supposed to have oil in it to the level marked. The only way it will get into the pipework though, is by overfilling the aircleaner, tipping it while installing/removing it, or by excessive (or long term) oil fumes from the engine breather that goes into the intake, assuming this is fitted. JD

(snip)

Reply to
JD