Engine differences - 2.25

I'm looking for a 5 bearing 2.25 petrol engine for a project series 3

There's one going on ebay (item 150133868221) that's looks similar other than a set of pipes running along the length of the rocker cover that isn't on any other Series petrol engines.

Is the 2.25 petrol engine fitted to the early 90s likely to be the same one as fitted to the late series vechicles?

Has anyone got a reasonable late engine they dont want?

Reply to
Sean

should be close enough! mounts are definately the same and it will fix to your gearbox. any differences should be trivial little things.

The pipes running along the rocker cover in that picture in the auction are the plumbing for the heater. Does your current one not have a heater in it?

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

Yep mine does - but mine has a kenlow pre heater thingy fitted, that might explain why mine doesnt look like it (why didnt i think of that)

Reply to
Sean

yeah, makes sense.

mine doesnt have a heater in atall, though heater pipes should run along the rocker cover and then turn 90degrees and go to the heater matrix.

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

Sean,

It sounds like an early Defender engine. I fitted one out of a 110 to my Series III without any difficulty - just a bit of plumbing and the like to sort. There are a few differences though. The inlet to the water pump is a larger diameter than for the Series engine. The Series hose will fit but it is a very tight fit - use plenty of Vaseline! Also the early 2.25 110 engine has some differences from that fitted to the 90 - some of the top end parts are not the same.

If you are going to all the trouble have you not thought of fitting the 2.5 petrol engine? It is a bit more powerful.

Good luck whatever you do.

Patrick

Patrick Manuel