Extending the lives of army Land Rovers

Interesting-ish article on the beeb this morning;

The industrial stench of oil and grease gives no hint at the true value of Peter Hobson's pile of old car parts as he throws the doors open to a cavernous barn in a remote Lincolnshire field.

"I've got the got the largest Land Rover parts store outside Land Rover," the 60-year-old entrepreneur declares as he inspects tonnes of scrapped components that he has amassed over the last two decades.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Looks nice :)

I like pic number 2 - thats had a hard life.

Does anyone have his own website? Would be handy to have for next time something breaks....

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Yep it was in the "related links" section on the right-hand side of the screen;

Doesn't appear to sell parts to scum like us.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

well I would never have thunk it. I have driven up that area which is the arse end of nowhere (was "testing" the d2 in the deep snow a couple of years ago), and I have a clinic in Louth and Horncastle, but have never heard of this guy or his business. The article makes him sound rather big headed.

Reply to
madhatchetman

It's a puff-piece, he's got the opportunity to plug his company on the BBC news website so he'll naturally say he's the best, I'd do the same. I of course am the best ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Damned good article that. A manifesto for spares operations ! Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

The most emailed article on the beeb website and the 5th most read at the time of posting this according to their little chart applet on the right of the page, not sure why but there you go! It's also on the front page of the website. Someone's smiling on Peter Hobson today.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

In article , William Black writes

Didn't the US military have a $400 hammer?

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

They may well have.

I have an eleven year old Defender 90 with a 300 series engine and it's worth about £5,000

If the engine is worth £7,000 that means I'll have to pay someone £2,000 to take the rest of it away...

Reply to
William Black

I'd imagine that for the £7,000 they won't get a lump ripped out of a wreck and flung on a palette, ISTR that £7,000 was the price for it new, so there would have to be something else besides just re-manufacturing it to make it worth getting theirs over a new lump.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I have a suspicion that he's just quoting the new price in a desperate effort to sound important.

It's like the 'I don't deal with the public' routine.

If someone turned up at his gate with a wad of twenties and said 'Please can I buy a Land River mate" he'd deal alright...

Reply to
William Black