Discontinued Land Rovers?

Leaving aside military vehicles, and accepting that the Defender was once the Series III (and by extension, the Series IIa, II and I) is Land Rover the only car manufacturer in the world to have never discontinued a model? And how long will it last?

Reply to
Andrew

Dunno and hopefully for a helluva lot longer .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

VW still make the Transporter, in Brazil, & Porsche the 911

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

In message , Andrew writes

'Til the Defender replacement appears.

Reply to
hugh

Think the OP was meaning that LR have never discontinued *any* model.

Reply to
hugh

"Jeff" wrote

I think VW still make the original Beetle somewhere.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

They do

Brazil I'm told

and before andy says it

They must be nuts

Reply to
DieSea

Not any more, Brazil was the last and stopped in 2006.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

What about the Forward Control.

Reply to
Autowbars (BFD)

Yep, almost revamped itself as the lama then disappeared! So, that proves that LR have indeed discontinued a model. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Yeah, I know. I was thinking more about the stuff you can buy (or could buy) at a LR dealer. As far as I know, Lightweights and Forward Controls were never available new to the public, although I'm wondering whether the Series II/IIA FC might have been? I've seen plenty of pictures of "civilan" IIA FCs but whether they were ex- military or not, I don't know. Any ideas anyone?

Reply to
Andrew

I think that you're right to suggest that the IIa/III FC was a showroom offering. I'm sure that I've a leafet somewhere but don't have time to look at the moment.

I also don't think that the military took many IIa/III FCs. There may have been a few as fire engines but that's about it. Any that you have seen will have been civvy from the start.

The 101 was never offered to the public, neither was the Llama as far as I'm aware.

Reply to
Dougal

Hello again, srs 2/3 FCs were sold thro dealer network direct to the public.

Reply to
Autowbars (BFD)

In message , "Autowbars (BFD)" writes

Were they a standard production item or were they Special Vehicles?

Reply to
hugh

Standard as far as I recall. I don't think the idea of "Special Vehicles" had been born in those days.

Reply to
Dougal